Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should only dethatch when it is needed. The dethatching process causes a lot of damage to the plants. Verticutting is actually better. That is using fixed knifes to slice through to the surface. but back to dethatching. If the thatch is more than a half inch thick in your area it should be removed. Less than half inch you can do the lawn more good by aeration. Actually aeration will help on all lawns but remove the thatch first.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with DoetschOutdoor.

The problem with your question is that the answer will be different for every lawn and even for different portions of the same lawn.

At my cottage the front yard sees more traffic and thus I aerate Spring and Fall. The backyard sees little or no traffic and I only aerate it in the fall. It hasn't happened yet but if I were to continuously let the grass grow too long before mowing, I would be detatching more often too. If you cut no more than 1/3 of the blade of grass with each mowing you will rarely need to detatch.

That's my .02 cents but I've got to warn you, I'm new here, don't run a landscaping or lawn maintainence company and am certainly not an expert!