Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

247b rubber track CAT (cats a@@)

Is the Cat 247 b the ultimate 4 season machine that it appears to be????????????????? Worried about the tracks????????????// Sweet machine,BUT Will it hold up?????????? Help me spend my money
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 09-29-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

247-4 Seasons

I haven't posted in a while since school got completely underway this month. It's amazing how middle school students can run you out of energy! makes spending a day in a machine a walk in the park.

Planet...I can't speak specifically for the 247 since I own an RC50. I demoed the 247 before I bought the ASV machine and I bought the RC50 because it felt more balanced front to rear (247 is a skid on ASVs undercarriage) and it was much heavier than the RC50 by about 1500lbs. I live in Wisconsin and use that machine to excavate, landscape, load trucks, push snow....you get the idea. I have found it to be so much more versatile than any skid steer I have ever sold or used (I also own a Bobcat skid). You just can't beat it for all around productivity. The operating costs are higher than a skid, however, the productivity I get has far outweighed the cost by an exponential amount. I now have over 1,000 hours on my tracks and feel like I have 30-50% track life left with no problem. I was extremely pleased with how it works removing snow. It's fast, has plenty of traction, and I can push up snow piles that a skid wouldn't come close to. I'm a big big proponent of choosing the machine that best fits your needs...from a dealer you are comfortable with. I would recommend that you try both the ASV and the 247 to see the differences for yourself. I sold the Bobcat tracked machines and I'm not swayed by their claims of being better than the ASV (both by experience selling them and dealing with customers who have bought them). Besides, I just can't take the beating that the rigid machines give the operator. I can only imagine that that pounding would have some sort of a health impact down the road if I made my living in a machine for 10 hours a day over 10-15 years. Best of luck with your choice.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS, I am choosing between the 247 and 257 cat. I am leaning toward the 247. Both R SWEET.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 09-29-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Planet.....go to ironplanet.com and see what a used CAT goes for and read the blurbs on machines with 300-1000 hours on them.......that may help you make a decision as far as "ultimate machine" is concerned.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just get a skid and save yourself thousands. When researching the purchase of a tracked machine, one must sit down and figure out the percentage of time the tracks are absolutely necessary.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Over nice lawns to work is possible,No? Snow? Gotta be awesome. Harley rake???? Should work well,No? We have wheled Kubotas too. Am I making a 40k mistake????????????????????
Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know if you are making a 40K "mistake". For guys getting into this, there is an "allure" to getting a new piece of iron......it's sexy, it's easy to do, it feel's good......but those monthly payments keep coming no matter what- whether you have work, whether it is in the shop being repaired....it is a real cost that most do not fully realize until they are in pretty deep. A skid is a necessary item for most, just be smart about it.......
I think I would rent or demo a machine until I was so busy ( 5 days a week/10 hr. days) and had a back-log of work signed up that I could justify a machine purchase.
Then I would start really looking at used machines and become familiar with them ( example: gehl 4640 turbo w/100 hrs., power tach, cab/heat, two buckets for $21,575) and then make a decision as to whether a new $40K machine is really what you "need".
Old 10-01-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My concern is the tracks!!!!!!!!!!! Should I just buy wheeled??(Bulletproof)
Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a demo Cat 247 and 257. They demo AWESOME, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT I dont think they will hold up under ALL conditions
Old 10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Planet- I have had two different track machines (Bobcat and now Deere) and they are a 4 season machine and IMO, for what I do, they are definetly worth the money. However, going from what I read in your posts, it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a CTL over a skid. Don't buy a CTL just to have one. The work great on slopes, grading, push power, machine balance, and so on... The biggest advantage compared to a skid IMO is working in mud. Like anything else, they will bogg down when you get in the nasty sh!t, but I can work in many more conditions that a wheeled skid cannot.

As far as working in snow, do you mean in dirt or plowing on pavement? Digdeep made some good points, but I have to disagree on the snow plowing aspect. I haven't tried my Deere for plowing, but my Bobcat was horrible! CTL's don't bite down, they float. So if you're trying to push snow where underneath is either icy or packed down after it's been driven on, you can't get traction at all. If you were to plow right after it snowed, and the pavement hadn't been driven on or before anything freezes, you might be O.K. However, I'm sure you know if you plow snow that's not the case most of the time. If you did have a dry/unfrozen surface under the snow, that probably wouldn't be great on track wear either. Along the same lines, CTL's do not do well on frost. Same concept.

Planet- I would recommend that you check into a wheeled skid with aftermarket steel tracks. That might be a better all around machine for your needs, and you could take off the tracks for plowing snow, or whenever you worked on pavement. Just my $.02!