Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this normal, or, does the dealer think I am a dunce?

So, I just bought a gravely 44z from a local dealer. They have been very nice to me during the whole time I have been lookin at ZTRs (approximately 4 months).

I test drove the 44z they had in front of the dealer, and liked it, so I was looking forward to getting it in. I arrive home today just after they had dropped it off. I rush up to admire it, and...wait a second. 2 miles on the odometer? Big areas of rust on the deflector? Rust patches on the front caster assemblies and back grill? This is the same damn machine that sat in front of their dealer through rain and everything during the spring, summer, and fall.

Now, the sale was for a new 44z as far as I know, as the words "used" or "demo" never came up, and the bill of sale is merely for a 44z. I plan on calling them tomorrow, but am I being too uptight expecting a perfectly new unit? I'd be upset getting a less-than-new $200 mower, much less a $5000 one. Is this just the way it is when buying contractor-grade stuff? My mower will always be garaged and kept clean, with minimal residential use, so I wouldn't expect rust like I'm seeing already.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
So, I just bought a gravely 44z from a local dealer. They have been very nice to me during the whole time I have been lookin at ZTRs (approximately 4 months).

I test drove the 44z they had in front of the dealer, and liked it, so I was looking forward to getting it in. I arrive home today just after they had dropped it off. I rush up to admire it, and...wait a second. 2 miles on the odometer? Big areas of rust on the deflector? Rust patches on the front caster assemblies and back grill? This is the same damn machine that sat in front of their dealer through rain and everything during the spring, summer, and fall.

Now, the sale was for a new 44z as far as I know, as the words "used" or "demo" never came up, and the bill of sale is merely for a 44z. I plan on calling them tomorrow, but am I being too uptight expecting a perfectly new unit? I'd be upset getting a less-than-new $200 mower, much less a $5000 one. Is this just the way it is when buying contractor-grade stuff? My mower will always be garaged and kept clean, with minimal residential use, so I wouldn't expect rust like I'm seeing already.
HELL NO that's not the way it is buying "contractor equipment".... that would be like buying a "new car" with a softball size dent in the side!

If I'm paying full price for this thing, it better be in BRAND NEW condition.... which means rustless!! If I want to leave it out to get rusty that's my business, but I wouldn't buy it that way!

I'd have them pick it up and bring me another one! That's just plain lazy to even expect someone to accept that! I'd ask'em is the rust a bonus or did I pay extra for it?

New means...NEW, MINUS the rust!

The 2, would be hours, not miles. That's not as big a deal to me as all the rust!

They brought my mower out to me, it was SPOTLESS and Armor-all'd

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They tried that with me on a Lazer that had sit outside a long time. Of course I said get me a new one or I'm not signing the papers. They had one out of the crate and put together in a short while.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying a new mower it should be in perfect condition. I would tell them you want a new mower without the rust.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd drive it back to the dealer. Go in and play dumb and ask if they have any new mowers. And when they say yes come look, I'd say good then take that rusted up piece of Sh!t off my trailer and replace it with a new one fresh out of the crate. And when I got home with my new mower I would call the maker and tell them about my expirence
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I'm already mentally preparing for tomorrow. The real kicker is that they said they needed 4 days to get my mower ready. I guess they meant washing the mud off.

I'm of a mind to just tell them to take it back, period. The fact that they tried this crap with me does not make me optimistic about my future dealings with them. There's plenty of mowers, and dealers, out there.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now you might give them a chance, possibly they gave you the wrong one?
I mean, I would go in non-chalant and then you always have the option of raising hell if they give you crap.

Basically, ask them what you just asked us...
See what they say...
Take it from there
Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Now you might give them a chance, possibly they gave you the wrong one?
I mean, I would go in non-chalant and then you always have the option of raising hell if they give you crap.

Basically, ask them what you just asked us...
See what they say...
Take it from there
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it seems hard to believe that someone mistook a newly assembled one put together out back, for the demo one sitting in front.

I'll update tomorrow. Either I'll have a new mower, plus something extra (maybe striping kit?) or I'll be looking for a different dealer.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it seems hard to believe that someone mistook a newly assembled one put together out back, for the demo one sitting in front.

I'll update tomorrow. Either I'll have a new mower, plus something extra (maybe striping kit?) or I'll be looking for a different dealer.
I don't know about a Striping kit... but a "NEW" mower for sure!!! Maybe a few less expensive goodies.

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWest
I don't know about a Striping kit... but a "NEW" mower for sure!!! Maybe a few less expensive goodies.
A striping kit for a gravely is like $60. It's essentially a piece of plastic or rubber bolted onto the back of the deck. We're not talking a nice scag roller unit or anything. I'm about 90% sure they tried to screw me by giving me their demo (end of the season and all), and I just can't let that one slide without getting a little something for my hassle.

Maybe I sound a bit too bitter, but I've had a rash of this sort of stuff going on lately, and I'm a bit fed up with it.