Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:42 AM
JLB611 JLB611 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clinton, TN
Posts: 12
Which Mower?

I am new to the site and I am trying to decide which mower would be best. I mow near an acre yard, 3/4 of the yard is flat and 1/4 of the yard is at a 20 to 25 degree slope at is steepest. By what I have read the Hustler mini fastrack and the Hustler fastrack seem to be good on hills.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB611
I am new to the site and I am trying to decide which mower would be best. I mow near an acre yard, 3/4 of the yard is flat and 1/4 of the yard is at a 20 to 25 degree slope at is steepest. By what I have read the Hustler mini fastrack and the Hustler fastrack seem to be good on hills.
Almost sounds like you're describing my yard. You didn't post a photo, but 25 degrees is pretty steep to take a ZTR on. Mine is also about that steep in places and I won't do it on those areas. Some of the pros might, but not me. And the guys who work for the LCO who do my neighbor's lawn, which has a slope that isn't quite as steep as mine, don't either. They use a walk behind mower. If you are thinking of using the ZTR you buy on that slope, I'd suggest you first demo the one you have your eye on. I hope it will do what you want, but I supect it won't, in which case you'll also need something else for the 25-degree areas.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
runningdeer's Avatar
runningdeer runningdeer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 27
mini fastrak 42"

I just bought a mini fastrak and love it. I drove it all over the dealership and their hills. I couldn't get it to slide or spin. It appears to be very stable. I paid $4031 and that's with 7% sales tax and a bagger ar $570. Check them out!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Steelratt Steelratt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CNY
Posts: 59
Hustlers seem to have a low center of gravity as opposed to there ZTRs. My new gravely 44z is not supposed to do well on hills, and definately seems more top heavy than the mini fastracks I've seen. If you are taller, go for the mini, since (surprisingly) it has more legroom than the regular fastrack.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2006, 01:46 PM
JLB611 JLB611 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clinton, TN
Posts: 12
I think I am going to try to test both the minifastrack and the fastrack. I have sat on a few smaller ztr's not hustlers and have felt cramped on them and I am 6' It seems that they are a real high quality mower for a homeowner.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Steelratt Steelratt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CNY
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB611
I think I am going to try to test both the minifastrack and the fastrack. I have sat on a few smaller ztr's not hustlers and have felt cramped on them and I am 6' It seems that they are a real high quality mower for a homeowner.
They ARE high quality, especially compared to the residential toros and cubs you see at Home Depot and the like.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
Hustlers seem to have a low center of gravity as opposed to there ZTRs.
I believe all of the high-quality ZTRs have a low center of gravity. My fear isn't so much that mine will tip over; rather, it might slip downhill if the slope is too steep. And once it starts to slide down the hill, it's not clear to me what procedure should be followed to get out of that predicament. In one recent post, one of the pros reported that he had to bail out of a ZTR sliding down a hill. Seems to me he's lucky to be alive to write about it. I presume the back wheels were on the downhill side, and he was able to leap uphill. If the front wheels were on the downhill side and he jumped out, the machine might have run over him with the blades spinning. Also, if you have to negotiate a turn where it's steep, it might be hard to control, and that might also induce slipping downhill.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Steelratt Steelratt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CNY
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
I believe all of the high-quality ZTRs have a low center of gravity. My fear isn't so much that mine will tip over; rather, it might slip downhill if the slope is too steep. And once it starts to slide down the hill, it's not clear to me what procedure should be followed to get out of that predicament. In one recent post, one of the pros reported that he had to bail out of a ZTR sliding down a hill. Seems to me he's lucky to be alive to write about it. I presume the back wheels were on the downhill side, and he was able to leap uphill. If the front wheels were on the downhill side and he jumped out, the machine might have run over him with the blades spinning. Also, if you have to negotiate a turn where it's steep, it might be hard to control, and that might also induce slipping downhill.
No, I mean LOW. The mini-fastracks I have seen look like cart racers. My gravely's seat definately sits higher.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
LarryF's Avatar
LarryF LarryF is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincroft, NJ
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelratt
No, I mean LOW. The mini-fastracks I have seen look like cart racers. My gravely's seat definately sits higher.
And you think your Gravely could tip over on a 25-degree slope?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Steelratt Steelratt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CNY
Posts: 59
I'll never know
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.10005 seconds with 9 queries