Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually Matt, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Like you said, most jobs require a tri-axle for agg deliveries, but it is handy to have a 17k-19K GVWR for a little stone, gravel, sand or spoils to handle on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk
On the subjects of trucks: I think most companys that know there bottom line have most materials deliveryed, unless they are so big and have dedicated drivers.

So a hardscape truck is basically needed to bring the men, tools, and equipment to the job. Then pickup an extra yard or two or stone or sand and maybe some extra pavers. And to haul off the extra material/spoils at the end of the job.

I think a 550 size truck fits the bill perfect. The only think is they are 45k new and i can buy a sweet international for alittle more.

I think this post is just me thinking out loud. I proably made no sense.

Matt

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper
A 19,000 GVW aint squat in terms of full fledged hardscapin.That equals zero payload. And payload is very important.

Either go 26000 GVW or a 1 ton pick up with a 6 ton dump trailer.

Truthfully? An Isuzu or a Mits cabover offers higher payload than Ford or GM. Want a good work truck? Get a Mits.

gettin Back on topic:

I'm hearing that the NY area has been hit the hardest with a slow down in work.

On the otherhand, I know guys in CA that are bursting at the seems with high dollar ($250K) jobs.

We were swamped this spring and I was inflating the costs and still selling left and right.

Then all of a sudden in late July / August work bottomed out. It took me about 10-14 days to realize what was going on. A friend of mine is building a home so I talked him into letting us do the excavating work to carry us over. Then I remembered someone else told me last Oct that they wanted us to do some site work at their place, so I called him and got the ball rolling.

Which in the interium, and with some assistance of a supplier, I have been able to sell a good bit of hardscape work, which with our sold jobs that we havent started yet and a few still pending I think we'll be set to finish the year, and possibly book up a few weeks for next year.

Sometimes these things happen.

Patios are luxuries (sp) just as boat and motocycle sales. When the average consumers money gets tight - we're ALWAYS the 1st to feel it. This is when offering maintenance services is an invaluable benefit.
It's all you need if you're in the paver/block business and not in the trucking business.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm proably going to look for a international 4700 or a freightliner fl70 cb and chasis and put a lpack on it and a 12 ft dump bed and be done with it. 25995 gvw so anyone can drive it. Should be able to get set up with a decent truck for 25-30k. I just can't see spending 45k on a 550 that will not last as long as a international.

Hell i doubt a 4700 is physically any bigger of a truck then a f550 if the bodies or comparable size.

K think a flat bed with removeable sides or a dump body with fold down size would be ideal. You want something with sides low enough to load with a skid steer easily.

Matt
Old 10-06-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
It's all you need if you're in the paver/block business and not in the trucking business.

Not really.

You do not need much of a truck for gettin the material to the job. Thats the supplier's job.

Where a larger truck comes in handy is when you finish a job and have equipment, tools, spoils, and left over material to haul away.

Naturally one tries to remove the unnecessary tools, equipment, spoils, and materials as the work progresses. But reality is - it doesnt happen that way. If its a small job, you dont have enough days to haul things away as the work progresses. The larger payload is needed more towards the end of the project. Not really needed at the beginning.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper
Not really.

You do not need much of a truck for gettin the material to the job. Thats the supplier's job.

Where a larger truck comes in handy is when you finish a job and have equipment, tools, spoils, and left over material to haul away.

Naturally one tries to remove the unnecessary tools, equipment, spoils, and materials as the work progresses. But reality is - it doesnt happen that way. If its a small job, you dont have enough days to haul things away as the work progresses. The larger payload is needed more towards the end of the project. Not really needed at the beginning.
I'm sure we operate differently, so here's how we typically do it: 90% of the time, I have a sub that excavates and removes spoils that need to be removed. Also, he moves my skid steers if needed.

Base aggregate, other materials are delivered. Crew shows up with 550 and enclosed trailer with all tools. Crew does the installation. If we are short one or four tons of material, crew uses 550 to go get it, or I go get 550 and run it to them. We finish job and crew leaves with extra material, spoils, etc. and hardscape trailer.

I can't imagine having so much material left over on a small job that I couldn't get it onto our truck.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

I like to work until thanksgiving and this year weather permitting i will be able to do that. Im trying to keep schedule and get everyone done for season but a little bad luck with rain and my bobcat broke down until next tues. it will be tough to keep every thing in line. I have had a great year very busy with good work. Some thing to be thank ful of in todays world. Im actually looking forward to closing down for winter and doing some hunting.
Mike
Old 10-07-2006, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

mbella- You sub out all excavation? Even for a 250 sq ft walkway?

Matt
Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk
mbella- You sub out all excavation? Even for a 250 sq ft walkway?

Matt
I sub out all of the excavation that I am able. Yes, even for a small job like a 250 sq. ft. walkway.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We are slowerr that we'd like to be now, we have work but not the juicy stuff we've been doing. Bids are going out but not being returned as fast as they had been in the last few months, soon we'll have to put work off until spring as snow money time is approaching pretty fast. We have lots of prep work to do to be ready for the white stuff, setting up onsite salt bins, going over trucks and plows and loaders and boxes and salters and mixing salt. Hate to be caught with my pants down if we gat an early snow.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Matt, let me know if your serious about a truck. If your in No. NJ, I have a guy right over the border in PA. I have an FL70 hooklift I just picked up from them recently. Similar truck to Jarod's, but stubbier for tight sights. I can carry 12'-14' bodies on it no problem. As far as GVW in trucks we have 19k and 26k for construction. Some jobs are too much for even the FL70, but I'm not dropping $130k+ on a tandem anytime soon we'll just hire for the day as needed. I'll have to take some pictures of the truck and post them. I must say I choose the FL over the international because of the HP, and the hooklift system that was on it.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>