Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2006, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep Florida soil is nothing but sand. The hardest thing about digging is breaking thru the sod roots.

I just looked at a couple of neighbor's valve boxes. They all have a stubby too.

Now you fellows understand why I'm turning to you to get a good irrigation sysytem and wanting to get it done right.

By the way, little about me...I'm a former contractor myself.

For 10 years I worked as an independent contractor providing drafting and engineering consultation services. I now work direct for ABB Medium Voltage Power Distribution Division as a mechanical designer in the research and development dept. I design the enclosures for Outdoor Circuit Breakers

You guys ever need any AutoCad tips, just ask.

Last edited by Ed G; 10-08-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

my solution to my "dilema" turned out to be a no brainer.

My stubby box cost me $17.99.

If I built the manifold to raise the valves, the fittings would have cost me about $12.

I discovered that Home Depot sells 14 x 20 x 12 (or thereabouts) valve boxes with lid for $18.99.

I don't buy the fittings, I take my stubby box back for a credit and then I'm only out an extra $7 to protect the manifold and PVC correctly.

Hows that for voodoo math?

My pool screen was put up yesterday, so Irrigation install starts this weekend.

Trenching with an EZ Trencher takes place on Friday.

I'll make sure to take lots of photos so you guys can see what goes on in the wacky mind of the homeowner.

e
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now you're cooking with...

There's also more than one way to skin a cat. If plan A doesn't work, go to plan B, etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G
Yep Florida soil is nothing but sand. The hardest thing about digging is breaking thru the sod roots.

I just looked at a couple of neighbor's valve boxes. They all have a stubby too.

Now you fellows understand why I'm turning to you to get a good irrigation sysytem and wanting to get it done right.

By the way, little about me...I'm a former contractor myself.

For 10 years I worked as an independent contractor providing drafting and engineering consultation services. I now work direct for ABB Medium Voltage Power Distribution Division as a mechanical designer in the research and development dept. I design the enclosures for Outdoor Circuit Breakers

You guys ever need any AutoCad tips, just ask.

He's right. Although I am sure there are tons of guys who do great irrigation work here. I have yet to meet any. Slack and halfway seems to the standard.

Yet another reason I am pursuing my irrigation license.