Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Can't Decide: Kombi KM110R or FS110R?

I'm ready to buy either the Stihl KM110R Kombi System or the FS110R trimmer/FC110 edger primarily for the benefit of being able to buy multiple tools for one powerhead. However, I can't decide which one would be best for moderate weekly use and changing of the attachments 2 to 4 times per week. I will use the straight shaft edger attachment 80% of the time.

Positives for the KM110R are the ease of changing the attachments and available extension for the pole saw/hedge trimmer attachments. The major positive for the FS110R or FC110 units seems to be the solid drive shaft, which should transfer more engine torque and be more durable. However, I'm concerned about how much trouble changing out the gearbox attachments is vs. the Kombi split boom and if constant changing of the gearbox attachments over time will wear our the attachment head or strip the allen screws.

I'm leaning toward the KM110R Kombi System but the flex cable drive has me worried in regards to durability and strength. I've read all the posts on this subject but would welcome any posts shedding more light on the solid shaft vs. flex cable question and any problems concerning changing out the gearbox attachments (which my Stihl dealer says are the same ones as the Kombi System shaft attachments). Thanks!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the STIHL Kombi 110R and I think its been very durable so far. I have had no problem changing attachments. Some guys think its a little to heavy to use as a trimmer but I think its fine. As far as torque goes I've never had a problem with that. The attachments are pretty salty in price though!
STIHL Chainsaws & Trimmers
Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Works
I have the STIHL Kombi 110R and I think its been very durable so far. I have had no problem changing attachments. Some guys think its a little to heavy to use as a trimmer but I think its fine. As far as torque goes I've never had a problem with that. The attachments are pretty salty in price though!
I am in the same boat, I have the same unit with the hedge trimmer, sidewalk attachment, chain saw head, and of course the trimmer (weed eater) I can tell you it has been worth the money to have the various attachments and only one main drive. So far I have used all of them heavily this year with NO problems. (quick, knock on wood) You will be very happy with either, just comes down to trailer space and preference.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the KM 110 and you will not be disappointed. This is a well made unit and is perfect for solo ops/small operations. Changing tools akes 30 sec. and you won't have to worry about stripping screws or damaging anything. I love mine, no problems so far and more power than I really need. BTW, I am almost certain that the 110 has a solid drive shaft.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

kombi

I have the km110 and use the trimmer head, tiller, edger, adjustable angle hedge trimmer and all are great. The unit is just a little heavy compared to stand alones but having to deal with just one engine is great. Next will be the chain saw and extension than the paddle broom.

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 7 power heads and can't even tell you how many attachments, get to a job that needs 2 or 3 weed wackers, no problem Just change the head, like someone said 30 sec including getting it out of the storage box. string head mess up change out the head and going again. Buy the KM130, that 5cc adds quite a bit of power.

hope this helps, littlenic
6.5x16, 7x16 & 6x12 Open Trailers
03 eXmark 60" XP w/Vac 06 60" LS w/Vac
04 36" TTHP 17hp ECS, 05 36" TTHP 15hp ECS
Little Wonder (13hp) Honda
6 Stihl KM110, 1 Km130, lots of attachments
2 Edget attachment
2 Stihl Extended Pole Saw (4-Mix)
2 Stihl 80 & 45 hedge trimmers (4-Mix)
3 RedMax 8000 BP
TurnAer26 & Ryan 28 Aerators
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

You're right, LawnBrother, the 2005 Stihl min-catalog I have says the KM110R has a solid shaft and it looks like where the powerhead and shaft attachment mate up is a solid connection, hence a solid driveshaft, in a manner of speaking.

Now Grn Mtn states that the weight of the KM110R is "a little heavy compared to stand alones", but I appear that the only extra weight that the KM110R would have over the stand alones like the FS110R and FC110 would be the weight of the metal collar and hardware where the two driveshafts attach to each other, less than 1/2 a pound, I would think. Any ideas why the KM would weigh signifcantly more? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I buy stand alones with a seperate powerhead/unit for each. No kombi for me.

I have a HS-80 hedge trimmer, FS130 trimmer, FC100 Edger, MS361 saw and a cheap arse ryobi pole saw that works when I need it. I like having the different engines for everything but whatever works for you. I use all of mine enough to justify having them.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all! It looks like the KM110R Kombi for me.

Frankly, has anyone had ANY bad experiences with the KM110R Kombi system powerhead or attachments other than the advantage of having multiple units vs. having only one powerhead? Any other disadvantages you all know of with this system or experiences with coupling failure, etc.? Going . . . . Going . . . .
Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncz
Stihl Can't Decide
I don't know.... I think that you may have decided subconsciously, but you just haven't realized it yet... you Stihl need some time to decide don't you...lol. stihl can't make up your mind. You stihl want to see some other brands.

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"