Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

just a design

Just thought i'd post up the most recent.........believe its 1/8"......the walk is 5' wide to give you some reference.

The white circle thing upper left is the trunk of a mature maple that canopies over the whole design..........house in Arlington, VA
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

left side reads:

Otto Luyken
Forsythia
Hydrangea
English Weeping Yew
Dogwood
Christmas Ferns placed at random
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice render...

I really like the color. How long you been designing?

My only suggestion, not that you asked, is maybe just use the lines of the shrubs under the branches of the dogwoods. A little lighter and not colored really suggests that they are the understory plant.

Do you have any others?
Good work.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm currently taking a class to learn how to draw designs. What size paper do you usually draw on? Do you do all by hand? Or some using a PC?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is ALL by hand. I colored the shrubs in under the dogwoods to help give the customer a "green" sense. She is from the deeper south and was really wanting some deep greenery. So that was my way of helping her visualize where as normally just outline (dotted) like you said.

I have some others but I'm working on one now that will really be impressive. It is a 1/2 acre hillside I am going to terrace and fill with Redbuds, Dogwoods, Moutnain Laurels, Azaleas, PJM Rhodos, Weeping English Yews, Astilbe, Forsythia etc.........Massings and just let thigns get big for that "wow" factor.

I have been drawing "real" designs for about a year. I don't have to do it usually as I give the customer so much detail that they trust me to deliver a great product. Larger jobs certainly have designs drawn to have time to reflect on them and make changes etc.

I charge to draw that ^ ^ ^ of course. If they want to keep it they better dig deep into their pockets (say $500 for that one and goes up from there) as I don't want to see another company doing my work. So far I haven't sold just a design yet haha.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only other thought would be the color blue for the dogs. First look gives me a pond/water feature feeling. I like to use a huge selection of shades of green. Keep up the great detail.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly............I'm in the middle of moving and had only had a pack of Crayola to work with haha.

You have anything to post??
Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tthomas check your box please.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys can do this useing your Paint program.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The best way to learn designs is to go to nurseries and just walk around and look at the plants. Get familar with them. Look for one each time you go that you don't know or should know more about. Pay attention to what you see during different times of the year while you are there should it be what is blooming and when as well as textures and fall color. Go in the winter, whats dead? Whats green? What looks "cool"?

Then go to a community college if you are short on time. Take a night class and design. You'll learn how to draw it and it takes a lot of practice............a lot. Also go to a bookstore and get books that YOU like and can easily understand so that you learn the plants and learn design because the design class will do more of teaching you to draw vs put this plant here and why.

Also it is trial and error. I design things that I think look great on paper and get out to the house to put it in to find I don't like it and move things around or substitute.

A good design I can spend 6 hours just coloring............this one I spend about 30min but its also small.