Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In school?

Who here is still in school? How many lawns a week do you do, and do you have any help? Reason i am asking, i am trying to plan for next season, so it dont turn out ending like this (NO money in savings in mid-october). I KNOW i can do 25 lawns/wk, but mom aint so convienced. I am also looking for ways that i can explain to her i can keep good grades, still do golf (she wants me to real bad, but it will be tough to make the team anyway, so it may not even be a problem), and still sucessfully manage my accts. Thanks for any replies.

Basically, what i am asking, CAN i do 25 lawns a week between 3:45 to 7 monday through friday? Also have all day saturday and sundy to do lawn stuff, but prefer to keep those open if possible for extra jobs, catchup if rained out, and somewhat of a personal life.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

115 lawns a week, including sat & sun. 12 credit hours. Easy classes.

Honestly, it's too hard. It's draining me mentally and physically. The reason I'm working so much is that my Foreman quit to go back to school and I figured I'd finish out the season in his place instead of looking for someone this late in the year.

Hire people to do your work!
When you get as big as I am, don't do any of the actual labor and try to go to school/have a life. You'll never get out alive.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm currently a sophmore in high school but this year i only have 4 lawns but also just have a tractor (and i am a striping fanatic, has to be perfect)...but am talking parents into a zero turn so next season i am hoping to get more. My mom helps me push mow some at one yard which only really saves me 10 min. or so. As far as keeping your grades up...mow while there is day light, and study when it is dark.

Not much help probably..just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to say it but no. Pm me and I can give you specifics (im tiried cuz I just got in from mowing).
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on the lawns, it can be done, and still have somewhat of a social life. I graduated high school last spring, mowed my entire time there. I had right around 20 yards I think last year, all normal residential, max 30-40 minutes there, went to school, then football from 3-whenever, usually 7 or so, mowed on saturday, all day from the end of football film review until dark, then I had my time. Oh, and I managed a 3.5 or better GPA all through high school That wasn't bad at all, now 15 credit hours, 35 lawns, two big landscape projects, right now sucks. I am so burned out, not on the biz, but on school. I know I need to stay in, but man it is hard when i am doing as well as I am, and have to have my helpers do some jobs when I should be there. But to answer your question, yes, you should have no problem.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter
Who here is still in school? How many lawns a week do you do, and do you have any help? Reason i am asking, i am trying to plan for next season, so it dont turn out ending like this (NO money in savings in mid-october). I KNOW i can do 25 lawns/wk, but mom aint so convienced. I am also looking for ways that i can explain to her i can keep good grades, still do golf (she wants me to real bad, but it will be tough to make the team anyway, so it may not even be a problem), and still sucessfully manage my accts. Thanks for any replies.

Basically, what i am asking, CAN i do 25 lawns a week between 3:45 to 7 monday through friday? Also have all day saturday and sundy to do lawn stuff, but prefer to keep those open if possible for extra jobs, catchup if rained out, and somewhat of a personal life.
I am gonna get blasted for this but i do 13 yards/week and am only in 8th grade and 13 years old. Next Year im planning on doing 15-20 yards a week and have a full time helper who can drive and im gonna buy a truck and during spring and fall do 3 yards/day 5 days/week and over the summer 5 yards/day 3 days/week and the other three days do landscaping over the summer and do landscaping on weekends during spring and fall. Right now i have my dad and my bro, my bro just got his license and a 97 S-10 and i know its small but i love it compared to the Jeep. But i will have my full time helper next year and be able to have my brother come and go when he wants b/c he wants to be a lifeguard and i just dont think i cant rely on him full time. But right now im doing about 3-5 yards after school normally done by 7:00 at the latest, come in take a shower and then do homework and or study and be in bed by 9:00. Hope This Helps! -Mitch-

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just saw that you are from Hutch, how much moisture have you guys gotten down that way, we are drysa bone up here Lawrence, Topeka area.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter

I am gonna get blasted for this but i do 13 yards/week and am only in 8th grade and 13 years old. Next Year im planning on doing 15-20 yards a week and have a full time helper who can drive and im gonna buy a truck and during spring and fall do 3 yards/day 5 days/week and over the summer 5 yards/day 3 days/week and the other three days do landscaping over the summer and do landscaping on weekends during spring and fall. Right now i have my dad and my bro, my bro just got his license and a 97 S-10 and i know its small but i love it compared to the Jeep. But i will have my full time helper next year and be able to have my brother come and go when he wants b/c he wants to be a lifeguard and i just dont think i cant rely on him full time. But right now im doing about 3-5 yards after school normally done by 7:00 at the latest, come in take a shower and then do homework and or study and be in bed by 9:00. Oh Yeah, i forgot to add, i maintain a 3.2 gpa, with all A's and B's. Hope This Helps! -Mitch-

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends what you have for equipment if you can drive and how hard your gonea work I did the math and if i get my lawns in small neighboorhoods in packs of 5-10 next season i can pull 50 solo lawns and 75 with a helper. Its really how hard you want to work and if it is worth it. Once you get 50+ lawns get a really nice Z hire someone to trim push and blow and you basicly get to ride around and make 1000 bucks a week or more. You sound exactly the same as me. Im a sophmore, Wanted a Z in the spring, And am not sure how many accounts i need to make so. . . I did the math. Give yourself 5-10 min transport time beetween your accounts nad ad an extra 5 incase. then take 30 minutes off your total time. its differnet for everyone. and dont get a ZTR get a walkbehind and sulkie.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a junior in high school, i do 7 weekly, and next year i'll take on up to 20. i can handle the work load, as well as school. I need to work hard to save up some money and eventuraly buy a new truck. I could do upto 30 including weekends, but i want to have room in my schedule for rainy days. Try also in the winter to get a job somewhere, like i'm appliying at radioshack, and if that fals through, home depot.

it depends on how large your lawns are too, like i have one that takes all afternoon, i have thr trailer on the truck in the school parking lot and go from there to work, it's huge, about 7 acres and takes until 8 PM, and it's dark at 6:45.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project