Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealtim
In my town every single police car/truck, parks and rec vehicle, town car, and emergencey vehicle[except fire truck], is in fact a ford. All of my vehicles are fords, and have had no problems with any of them. Even my garden tractor is a 40 year old ford 120. You can pretty much guess what brand i'm going to say is the best and i don't hate you for having something else.

Fleet sales discounts.... this is why you see the police and town cars and emergency vehicles are all Fords. It boils down to price and also what the decision makers of the departments want.

I will admit, Ford makes a better police car than Chevy or Dodge right now!

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The hardest thing for us is finding a extended wheel base truck that will handle a 14 ft. dump /drop side box .not too picky as long as has low profile tires and under 16,000gwv.just put out$2200 to replace pump on newer 6.5 chevy engine 3500hd /14 ft. box /500 gallon skid. It easily paid for it self in a couple days of apps.Wore out 95 dodge 1ton /14 ft. dump box with drop side runs fine 290,000 mi. haul leafs ,brush, dirt, gravel . It looks 30 years old but pays for it shelf .
Old 10-08-2006, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat
Chevys were always rust buckets you always seen the door sill rusted out the fenders rusted out.

Ford is one of the toughest trucks out there its one of the reasons why its used so much in the resource industry. Seen Fords beat the snot out of in the forest industry these trucks are run hard. No other truck seems to stand up. Some of these Fords beating down bush roads with 6000lbs of stuff in a 3/4 ton 4x4.

The beating these trucks see in the bush each year makes the rubicon look like a walk in a park.

Chevys used to be used until they changed from the solid front axle to IFS. The problem the chevs experienced in the bush was the hood would crack in half right down the center. The old Fords the floor would crack. When these trucks spend 99% of their life in the bush they never see road salt so there are still old 1980 Ford F-250 and F-350 4x4s doing bush service. I even seen a few old 78s and 79 Fords but they are a few far and between.

As for Dodge never been used they just don't stand up they were the poorest built truck you could get. The gas pot engines were never reliable.

You can't fool around with a unreliable truck when you have 4 guys making 25-30 dollars per hour.
Rust buckets??? 268K miles...a 93...and no rust.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 10-08-2006, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons Rightway Lawncare
Fleet sales discounts.... this is why you see the police and town cars and emergency vehicles are all Fords. It boils down to price and also what the decision makers of the departments want.

I will admit, Ford makes a better police car than Chevy or Dodge right now!
The undercover state patrol here uses Dodge Chargers. The new ones.

Sexy.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry FORD SUV I think everyone needs to be aware facts are facts, sorry if it hurts your feelings! Bcf Yes I was caught with a .5 yard of dirt in my truck with only owning it 2200 miles after purchase and that is FORD MOTOR COMPANY laided it on me that this truck was not made for this a engineer saw it in the dealership after the pot metal fuel line broke. Potmetal fuel lines and diesels don't go together (vibrations). Then three transfer case fell out in the middle of the highway??? And then they accused me also of plugging my cell phone in the ciggarette lighter. Which as you know is against FORD's Warranty too. When actually they pinched my computer wires when they put the fuel rail on.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a chevy 2500hd (2001), sold it to buy a 2000 f350, needless to say im buying a 2006 chevy 2500hd this month. I miss my chevy. Im keeping my ford because its a dump and serves its purpose well, and I like it, it saves me alot of time and money, but it already needed a tranny at 53k miles whereas my chevy had 75k miles and had the original tranny and was plowed with. Chevys from here on out, unless I find a sweet deal on fords.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Travel 'n Trees, has it ever occured to you that, first of all, no one is listening to you anymore, and second, maybe you have a lemon truck? There may be a lemon law to help you out here, I dunno. I would bet that you have a lemon truck, I work with a guy here just about 45 minutes west of you, that has an 04 550 6.0 psd, 4 door, w/ crysteel duece dump box from the factory. Ford, or at least our dealer, never has a problem taking care of warranty for him, and until DOT busted them this year, he would haul 4 ton of GRAVEL in the bed, 22' 14K equipment trailer and Bobcat T300, way overloaded, and they knew this. If all you have to say is how crappy your Ford is, great, go get a different truck, but don't tell everyone else to never buy a Ford, I admit that I will never buy at least an 03 or 04 6.0, but any other Ford diesel, I have a 96, work around 87's all the way up to that 04 every day, they are good trucks, every manufacturer has good ones and bad ones. You happen to have a bad one, and a bad dealer, but don't expect everyone on this site to feel sorry for you or join your cause, because the Ford Super Duty is a workhorse of a truck.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They are all good trucks but I'm a FORD man

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe Travel n Trees should buy another Ford (I sure hope it is a good one), and he would just realize that everyone produces a lemon once in a while. Ford does make a great truck if it is assembled right. You just have to pray and hope you get a good one. So far, I love my Ford, and it also has the 6.0 diesel (the devil's engine).

I have read on Lawnsite and other sites about guys with lemon Fords. Guys with lemon Chevys. Guys with lemon Dodges. Guys with lemon Toyotas. Guys with lemon Nissan Titans.

So make your choice between the 5 lemons. Some may be fresh, some may be stale. (If you get what I am saying)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry to many corners cut, my truck was a (factory installed dump) Funny dealers across the U.S. say the same thing, and if built right, like the first lincolns? TSB's are TSB's sorry has nothing to do with build but design.