Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

evaporitive emissions leak in van

ok, i have a PO442 code, for an evap. emissions leak. it's going in the garage tomorrow to do a smoke tst to see where the leak is. does anyone know about how much this is going to cost to fix? or how much for the test? i'm dropping it off before they open in the morning, and i wrote on their early drop off form, a detailed discro\iption of the problem, as well as asking them to call my cell phone before doing any work. i want to make sure i can afford it now. there is no preformance problem, it just won't pass an inspection with the check engine light on. anyone have this done before?

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A code P0442 (small evap leak)most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
Other small leak in EVAP system
Faulty vent o-ring seal

A PO455 (gross leak) means one or more of the following has happened
A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
Other leak or damaged piece in EVAP system

Easiest solution...
tighten gas cap, make sure you have at least 3/4 tank to 1/2 tank gas, clear code and drive for a day. If it doesnt come back on, more than likely yur good.
Now that you have sent it to the shop...
You will get a charge for diag time, which is usually at least an hour labor plus a lil more.
It's good you advised them to call with an est BEFORE they do any work!

If they are going to fix it, make sure they are the ones that are gonna pass it for emissions. That way they make sure its right!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check the gas cap and play around with it before you bring it in. I have had that problems before. Make sure you clean any sand or dirt that might have got in the grooves of the cap and make sure it is on properly. If that doesn't work I would just buy a new gas cap before brinign it to a shop.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

one of the guys didnt tighten the gas cap and the service engine light came on took a week to turn it off too
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a code reader and re-setter, i replaced the gas cap, i bought the replacement cap at the dealer. I re set the codes, and drove for a week and it came back on, so i know it isn't the cap. but their smoke test will tell me for sure, just wondering if anyone has a price tag on something like this.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It various on the shop that you go to. But you are at least looking at a hour labor charge to start with, it is very hard to say how much it could cost to repair the problem. It could be something as simple as the vapor management valve or they could have to drop the gas tank to replace the canister vent soleniod depending on which vehicle you have and where it is located. There is a lot of possibilities here.

What kind of vehicle are we talking about by the way. I can not say that in the 8 years of working on Fords that I have ever seen a gas cap throw a P0442 code usually it is a P0455 or P0457 for the gross evaporative leaks.

Good luck though.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilla Gorilla
It various on the shop that you go to. But you are at least looking at a hour labor charge to start with, it is very hard to say how much it could cost to repair the problem. It could be something as simple as the vapor management valve or they could have to drop the gas tank to replace the canister vent soleniod depending on which vehicle you have and where it is located. There is a lot of possibilities here.

What kind of vehicle are we talking about by the way. I can not say that in the 8 years of working on Fords that I have ever seen a gas cap throw a P0442 code usually it is a P0455 or P0457 for the gross evaporative leaks.

Good luck though.
it's a 2000 chevy astro. I figured about an hour's labor just to test the van, and if the estimate's to much, i'll have to wait on it. but i'm not smelling gas when i fill up, so i'll have to wait and see what the amount i'm gonna be forking over.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

okay here is the update. the dealer called today, and said that there was a leak coming from the top of the gas tank, not the tank itself, but the plumbing above it. they would have to drop the tank to see what was up. they didn't know exactly. their estimate was a min. of $250 for just labor, possibly going into $500, the part suspected was only a $30 part, but the labor to get at it was quite a bit. feeling that this was a steep price, i called a guy that works at my school, the theater manager, whom i work with often. he used to be a mechanic and owned a similar astro van. he said that it was a steep price, and wanted to know more info, so he offered to go with me to the mechanic. he talked the talk to mechanic, and the mechanic said, if we have the know how, to do it ourselves, save a ton of money.

SO now i have the van back, and am waiting to hear what my buddy wants to do, if he worked on it, he'd drop the tank in his driveway, after i ran it almost empty, and see what needed to be replaced. Or the other plan would be to take the van to a college about an hour away, where his son, is taking auto mechanics for his third year in a row, they charge a small fee (like $25) plus materials, but no labor, and they are good. they have full time mechanics watching over them. I'm still a bit amazed on how willing this guy is to help out people, and the bad thing is, he'd never let me pay him, nor would he allow me to trade him his leaf cleanup that he's hiring me to do for mechanic work. but his invoice will somehow "get lost in the mail"

after we left the dealer, he spends half an hour on the ground in the parking lot under my van, checking out the obvious first, unfortunately no such luck. Oh and i was charged $125.43 for the diognostic work and the smoke test.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

taking it to the college sounds good you save money but have to spend a little time and if your teacher will do it even better but you better throw some cash his way for helping you too if not take it another mechanic for another estimate the dealers always going to be higher
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say off had that there might be something up with the fuel sending unit. I would say it would be best to fix whatever it is. You don;t want to have a gas leak. Taking it to school sounds like a good idea to me.