Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your grass getting lazy and cutting poorly?

Conditions here have been wet all year. Not that the grass is always wet, but the we have had plenty of moisture and growth. I am getting more and more complaints about poor cut. I see that where my tires hit the grass, there is no resiliency to the grass where it will be vaccumed up to be cut. I do not know if this is my XR-7, or if it is just the grass.

Is anyone else seeing this with other brands of mowers? I am currious to know if it is mostly conditions, or mostly my new mower deck. All I know is I am tired of complaints, and there are to many to dismiss as wacco customers.

Thanks
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This time of the year in this area is the same. It's hard to get a good cut because the grass is starting to lay down. Going to get freezing rain and snow showers on Thurs and Fri.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Shady, We are experiencing the same problem with our Gravely's and Hustler, but our Scag Wildcat is cutting awesome with no lay downs or clumps. We are actually picking up yards right now because of other guys problems. And we are even using Gator blades on the Wildcat...better cut even than with the stock blades.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Exmark dude, I take it you just picked up the wildcat. I did not think you had one since we last talked. Glad it is doing so well for you, it must have the velocity deck? I am really amazed that it is performing so well with gator blades. They are useless to me except for maybe leaves. That must be a quality deck! I figured the Gravely would be cutting well. Go figure.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grass not but I am it is so dry here really hate to cut anything right now because all you do is eat dust but we have a 30 % chance of rain Weds maybe it will do some rain then
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never really noticed it on St. Augustine, but they Bahia in florida was ALWAYS "lazy grass", Gawd I hated cutting that crap! I never really gets thick and full.

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-10-2006, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe this is only a problem with cool seson grasses. If you can adjust the height of the blades in you deck lower them as far as possible. Make sure you do not use a sulky and try lowering you cut height some. That should help you out some.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We are all having this problem up here too. I was concerned about a big lawn I was cutting and it was laying over with either mower. I looked next door and my main competitor (big company ) had 3 different mowers cutting and it looked worse than mine. He was using the new Exmark Triton as a demo with the mulch kit. He had an Unltra cut Exmark mulching, and he had an Encore side discharging. He could not get any of them to cut as well as mine. I was trying to think of a way to hang a flap on the front of the flex fork hanging down far enough to push the grass forward and going the opposite direction of the grass laying down around the edges to try to stand it up. But gave up on the idea for now. Time to aerate.........

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong