Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One more point about the suspended undercarriages that I don't think has been mentioned is track cleanout. A big advantage (To me it's the biggest) to a CTL is it's ability to work in mud. The ASV/Cat's undercarraige packs in A LOT more mud and is much harder to clean out than a non-suspended machine's tracks are. This also makes the machine bogg down quicker and effects it's performance. In winter work, they will freeze if you don't clean them out. For some of you, this may not be a big deal, or maybe you don't run yours in heavier mud. For me, this is crucial. I also don't want to spend all night cleaning out tracks. All the CTL's, like anything, have their limits, but I've seen/ran Bobcat, Deere, Case, and the Takeuchi machines all do better in the same conditions than the Cat.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to stir the pot, I'll throw this out there. The big selling point I've seen and what sold me on a track machine is they "extend your work season". For some parts of the country, tracks or no tracks may not matter or you may decide that using over the tire tracks on your skid gives you everything (99%) you need. Now I'm just an amateur compared to most (all) of you guys and I've never owned a skid-steer. What prompted me to fall for that selling point was I did own a compact tractor (4x4) and on a few occasions (early Spring mostly) found myself up to the axles in mud and once having to leave the machine for two days waiting for the ground to dry up enough to get it out (unable to use the front loader bucket roll maneuver). One job, where I was doing some clearing and leveling, I had to tell the guy I'd be back in a few weeks when the ground dried out. I never got to finish that job (no payment). So looking to the future, the tracks appealed to me and so far I feel like it's been a good investment. I may change my mind when the time comes to pay for new tracks ! Another key, and it's been mentioned here and elsewhere, is where/how they are being used. I'm doing essentially all work in the dirt not on rock/concrete/demolition debris. Also I try to utilize good practices like not spinning around in place unless really necessary, power washing when I've been in the mud and being the owner/operator I realize I'm the guy that's going to have to pay for any abuse to the tracks so I keep that in mind when operating. If I had a crew running the machine I'm guessing I'd rather give them a skid-steer to operate. So, like everything else, there's pro's and con's and you make your choices and live with them. Was there a point to this, oh yeah, just stirring things up! (I've had enough seriousness for the day at my full time gig .)
Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a track machine don't buy a cat and don't look back. We bought one over a wheel machine and there is no ccomparison no flats no tracks to put on and take off and haul around with you, more traction on all surfaces, smoother ride, more lift and yes they do wear out but we run ours over everything even if we know it is damaging the tracks and our tracks are holding up great. And like Scag said they turn heads and when people see the amount of work they can do they are amazed.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag I think were saying the same thing. I believe there is a big trend toward tracked units and the salesman are trying to sell machines and are not giving the best advice or they don't know any better themselves. My CASE dealer is taking a CAT 216 and a Deere 325 on trade toward a TK140. You want to know what this guy does? He runs a crushing operation. I mentioned to the sales guy "why does a rock crusher want a tracked skid steer"? I said the upkeep on that machine will be very high. Response "thats want he wants" He wants the ability to climb up on the pile. On a side note the 300 series Deere doesn't sound like it runs much better than the 200 series at least in this case. Deere has given him two machines (he bought the first one) to get him one that runs. He has finally had enough. Should be interesting to see what kind of life he gets out of his tracks.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag, just one note about the track components on the 247 and up machines, we replaced all but 2 of the boogies on the machine before it had 1000 hours on it and we got it at 600 hours, we never ran it in gravel and the boogies still chunked out rubber like mad until they lose so of the rubber on the boogies it would cause the tracks to loosen up. They also had to replace all the sprockets and large drive boogies and the track tensioners.
I personally loved to run the Cat machines because when the going got tough you just gave it more throttle and it would power right through. It would sort of hunker down and just go go go, it had the best traction I have yet to see on a tracked machine.
Once any owner gets some hours on those machines thats when the repair bills get big. That is one of the reason you see so many machines on Iron planet with 400 to 1500 hours on them. I would still recommend the cat machine to any one, We just had a lemon because of prior abuse.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You said that 247 was run in a mine or something along those lines, correct? If so, there's your answer. I read in your last post you thought that might have contributed and I'll bet you anything that it didn't help bogie longetivity. But, you probably won't get more than 2,000 hours out of bogies anyway. I'm curious as to why the bogies can't be compsosed of steel, aside from weight issues. What harm would it do? Shouldn't hurt the tracks I wouldn't think.
BTW, what did bogie replacement cost you?

KSSS, makes sense about having tracks climbing piles, but if you think about climbing up gravel, he'll probably just spin. But I'm assuming he demo'd the machine so he probably has that all figured out. Like you say, it'll be interesting to see what his track life is. For the most part, you and I are saying pretty much the same thing about these machines, just coming out a little different

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 10-11-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

KSSS i was wondering why he didn't go with the Case track machine.Did you ask your saleman?Also was the TK 140 used machine on hand and does your Case dealer sell Case and TK machines both?????

Let us know how he gets along if you can get the infomation.I think i read where the tracks on the TK machines are steel rollers and idles and that they run on steel inbeded surface molted in the rubber tracks.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The CASE dealer here does sell TK and CASE. They had just got a 440 tracked machine in very recently. I asked if he was going to demo the CASE along side the TK and he said he would. I think the TK is going to be too tall to get under the screener. This would be a good test for either machine. I am really curious to see how a tracked machine will hold up under those conditions. I will check with the sales guy and see if he has made a decision yet.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had cat 257 and recently bought a case 445. The case is a excellent workhorse. doug
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum Doug. I have been waiting for someone who has both machines to show up here. What was the driver behind getting the CASE verse another CAT? Do you have any issues with having one machine with the CASE H pattern verse the CAT ISO pattern? Are you seeing any difference in tractive effort between the two track designs? Judging by the bucket, at least at the time the photo was taken you don't have many hours on the CASE. Are you seeing any advantages or disadvantages between the two machines? More questions to follow I am sure.