Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

workin like a dog

Well im 23 im from Greeneville, TN. I was born and raised on a farm helping my papaw with tobacco, hay, cattle, so i've always loved the outdoors. Went to college majoring in Physical Education, with a concentration in Exercise Science.........Its not what i really wanted to do, but i didnt want to go anywhere else to school, I've always loved the area im from and didnt want to leave it, so i settled on a major i had some interest in. Started mowing yards for my parents, then grandparents, then sister, then aunt, always used my dads equipment, till i bought my first Walk behind mower, then i had the fever i decided to place an ad in the paper and started gettin alot of calls, the only thing was i got accepted for an internship about 1 1/2 hours away from my house, working 40+ hours a week, So i kept gettin more and more calls and actually had to start turning down customers because i simply didnt have the time or never knew my schedule from one week to another, which was tough becuase i knew it was money that I could be making, that i was having to turn down. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.........So now ive got a handful of good customers i think i will be able to keep for awhile, that are flexible and know i may not be able to get their yard mowed on a certain day. Met alot of nice people, I'm in a delema now trying to figure out what i want to do with my life.....All my life ive heard " Do what you like doing" I like being outside, I like mowing yards, Right now im in a gym all day behind a desk usually, But I'm hesitant on being able to make LC a go full time. WOW I've talked way too much about this already........Just needed to get it off my shoulders, I"ve just got alot on my plate right now and really stressed out........Getting married next year, trying to buy a house, My fiance needs a new car, i would like to have a new truck , and equipment thats breaking down on me, seems like if its not one thing its another. But im gonna hang in there and keep mowing part time to see where it takes me.......wish me luck though, i have enough bad luck as it is....
"Bite off more than you can chew........and chew like hell" ..words that i'm living by right now!
John Deere 455 Diesel 60"
John Deere JX75 21"
Craftsman 21"
Echo blower/trimmer
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats a real interesting story, welcome to lawn site you will get plenty of advice on here good/bad you have to use your own judgement on which is which, theres lots of people on here that work full time and mow in the evenings after work or on the weekends, and i know a couple that are happy doing this because of the security of a full time job behind them,,,,,,,,,,all the best for the future,,,,,,
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What you wrote gives me faith and hope....I got a feeling that no matter what you do, with your "go get it" attitude, you will land on your feet. The "kids" around here ( I'm 50 ) don't want to work, look like they have been raised in a feed lot and most are ready for slaughter......fat, out of shape, have an attitude of entitlement, and feel that "work" of any sort is beneath them.......so, if you look at your competetion.......you have already outdistanced them with your positive attitude and willingness to do what ever it takes. How can you hold a guy like you down? NO WAY!! Keep goin'...keep your plate full......be prepared for the opportunities that are definately coming your way....What we need in this country is more like you with the "want to" attitude.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever the career, whatever your income...

you need to be able to distinguish needs from wants.

For example "fiance needs a new car"

re-phrase:

Finace needs a car. She WANTS a new car.

At any level, people who can't separate needs from wants will universally feel pain. Look at Michael Jackson, millions of dollars in debt.

Look at investor Warren Buffet, another super rich type. He lives in a three bedroom house, same house for 50 years, and drives a 2001 Lincoln Town Car, and a pickup.

You don't need a new truck, either. Maybe new mowers, if your reliability issues are causing too much downtime.

So do whatever makes you happy, and keep that debt under control.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albemarle Lawn
you need to be able to distinguish needs from wants.

For example "fiance needs a new car"

re-phrase:

Finace needs a car. She WANTS a new car.

At any level, people who can't separate needs from wants will universally feel pain. Look at Michael Jackson, millions of dollars in debt.

Look at investor Warren Buffet, another super rich type. He lives in a three bedroom house, same house for 50 years, and drives a 2001 Lincoln Town Car, and a pickup.

You don't need a new truck, either. Maybe new mowers, if your reliability issues are causing too much downtime.

So do whatever makes you happy, and keep that debt under control.
Good post, and words that I live by. I couldn't stand when I was in a store and my kids would say, "I need this." I'd say, "no, you WANT this." I broke their habit of saying that early on, and i feel i'm pretty lucky, my kids aren't kids that are always asking for stuff.

Determine what's really important for you to buy, and what can wait for awhile. Spend wisely.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

She NEEDS a new car, Dont ever buy a Saturn!
John Deere 455 Diesel 60"
John Deere JX75 21"
Craftsman 21"
Echo blower/trimmer