Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2000, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anybody had any experience with a pull behind aerator. I saw one at Lowe's yesterday for under $200. It had a deck for weight and could be raised and lowered for moving from place to place. I didn't know if it was worth it or not and figured somebody here had used them before.<p>Brook Haynes<br>Quality Lawn Care
Old 03-20-2000, 11:54 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Brook, I have used one like that. I'm guessing your looking at a Agri-Fab. I took a 48&quot; and a 42&quot; and mounted them on my 3 pt. hitch 1 behind the other. The back one tracked in between the holes the front one made and it still didn't make as many holes as my new Classen does. The Classen pull behind has 48 spoons, so it pulls out 9 more plugs than the 2 did combined. The one your looking at will do the job but you need to go over the lawn at least 2 times to get the same affect you would with one good aerator. If the ground is hard, it won't sink in very good even with a lot of weight. The reason I got a new Classen last fall is, the ground was so hard, my old one would only take out about 1/2 inch plug. The new one with weight would take out 3 inch plugs. You get what you pay for. The one I have can be seen on my equipment page.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-20-2000, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Eric,I have a small Kubota and was wondering how much a aerator for the 3 point would cost,or would it be more cost efficent<br>if would get one for my d.c.<br>p.s. I tried the 2sets of blades in the x and looks awesome,,,thanks<br> Tim<br>
Old 03-20-2000, 01:28 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tim, The Classen 48 I got at Lesco for $1299 and can be used on a 3 pt. hitch or it comes with a tongue that hooks to your DC hitch, so you can pull it that way. I have a lot of lawns with sprikler systems, so I like being able to lift it over the heads. What I like about the Classen is, you have the option of using it both ways. I drilled 2 sets of extra holes in the plate that locks the wheels up or down so I can use the wheels as gauge wheels. I have it so it won't go in deeper than 2&quot; or 3&quot; by doing this, in case you have under ground objects to consider. Works great.<p>Good to hear you like the double blade setup. I feel it's the only way to mow, but that's just my opinion.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-20-2000, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric,<br>I just checked out your site and it looks great. Yards are awesome. I also stripe my yards, but have to admit they don't look near that good. They are not that big either.<p>Brook