Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2006, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean about "proving your point"... I do think some of the guys/gals are right, it's YOUR image all over the lawn.

Then again, being that it was wet and way overgrown, I doubt a double cut would have changed the outcome with the lawn turds.

But the final thing I have to say is....

I bet it felt damn good proving your point!!!

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-14-2006, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well you don't allow your customer to cancel a cut at all. See you let her get away with it in the summer so now she feels she can tell you when you can and cannot cut. In this way she saves as much money as she can and the lawn is still presentable to her.
To her not to you. So when you sign your customers for weekly cuts during the growing season then that is what they get,You tell them that ahead of time or it should be in your contract. If YOU feel the lawn does not need to be cut and decide to skip it and credit her account then that's fine but none of this on-call cutting should be allowed from the start.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have done the same.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Well you don't allow your customer to cancel a cut at all. See you let her get away with it in the summer so now she feels she can tell you when you can and cannot cut. In this way she saves as much money as she can and the lawn is still presentable to her.
To her not to you. So when you sign your customers for weekly cuts during the growing season then that is what they get,You tell them that ahead of time or it should be in your contract. If YOU feel the lawn does not need to be cut and decide to skip it and credit her account then that's fine but none of this on-call cutting should be allowed from the start.

Contract, and monthly payment.

UltraVac bagger
2004 6 X 12 Emerson open trailer
22" Toro self propelled w.b.
2 x Echo trimers
Echo edger
Echo Blower
Echo hedge trimmer
Kawasaki hedge trimmer

"The bitterness of cheap quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
Old 10-14-2006, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Discount? Feel bad? Are you kidding me? That is the reason this profession has such a sub-par image. Do only what you are paid to do...nothing more, nothing less. I dont know what its going to take to get people here to learn the easy way that you will NEVER get ahead doing extra for free.

FREE = NO PAY. NO PAY = NO MONEY...its that simple. Skip a cut once, no biggie, skip it twice...bye bye.

By only doing work for paying customers, you will soon gain RESPECT for yourself, your company and your image. NEVER do the "Its just a little extra work" jobs EVER.

In fact, I dropped a senior who paid for squirting his backyard. I walked towards the front, he runs up to me and looks in the spray bottle...asks me to do the front with whats left over. Told him NOPE, you are charged for my time, not the product. Want the front done? Gotta pay.

ALL THE FREEBIES AND EXTRAS ARE FOR THEIR GRANDKIDS. Heck, if you or anyone else feels bad for not doing something for free, refer them to the church of jesus christ of lader day saints...they have done several "freebies" for my elderly groups that I wont do.

Just want a little snip snip...gotta pay too. When I am old, I doubt I will get a break from the credit card companies minimum payments...do you?

I am one cold SOB but I can tell you that since the first year of biz, I have probably recorded an extra $15000-20000 when I learned to say NO FRIGGIN WAY.

PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO BECOME JUST AN "EMPLOYEE" of their company rather than the owner/operator. I did that with several "users" and now I get paid.

CHA CHING

Last edited by Liquidfast; 10-14-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfast
Discount? Feel bad? Are you kidding me? That is the reason this profession has such a sub-par image. Do only what you are paid to do...nothing more, nothing less. I dont know what its going to take to get people here to learn the easy way that you will NEVER get ahead doing extra for free.

FREE = NO PAY. NO PAY = NO MONEY...its that simple. Skip a cut once, no biggie, skip it twice...bye bye.

By only doing work for paying customers, you will soon gain RESPECT for yourself, your company and your image. NEVER do the "Its just a little extra work" jobs EVER.

In fact, I dropped a senior who paid for squirting his backyard. I walked towards the front, he runs up to me and looks in the spray bottle...asks me to do the front with whats left over. Told him NOPE, you are charged for my time, not the product. Want the front done? Gotta pay.

ALL THE FREEBIES AND EXTRAS ARE FOR THEIR GRANDKIDS. Heck, if you or anyone else feels bad for not doing something for free, refer them to the church of jesus christ of lader day saints...they have done several "freebies" for my elderly groups that I wont do.

Just want a little snip snip...gotta pay too. When I am old, I doubt I will get a break from the credit card companies minimum payments...do you?

I am one cold SOB but I can tell you that since the first year of biz, I have probably recorded an extra $15000-20000 when I learned to say NO FRIGGIN WAY.

PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO BECOME JUST AN "EMPLOYEE" of their company rather than the owner/operator. I did that with several "users" and now I get paid.

CHA CHING

Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWest
Contract, and monthly payment.
easiest way to get payed and avoid hassles
Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
easiest way to get payed and avoid hassles

What do you do when 90% don't want that in your area??
Old 10-14-2006, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Is that few cents you saved worth a customer or two?

Charged for your time and not the product?????

Or did you just roll the cost of the product into your time? if you did that then you owed the man the rest of his product that he payed for.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gamba
What do you do when 90% don't want that in your area??
Only deal with the 10% that have the brains and money