Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ford Brakes

So, my wife complained the other day about the brakes on our explorer making a grinding noise.

Today was the first chance I had to take a look at them, so I jacked it up and popped off the wheel and hub on the front drivers side.

This is what I found:

Its a crummy picture from my camera phone, but that long object poking out of the caliper is the caliper pin.

On these fords, instead of using bolts to hold the caliper, the caliper floats on two pins. That pin should be in the caliper, not hanging out of it barely holding on.

I figure much longer and the pin would have fallen out and the caliper would pivot on its one pin and make a real racket, and possible freeze that brake up. Could have been a disaster.

Anyways, I drove the pin back into the caliper and took a look at the pads. They need replacing. I'll do that tommorow.

Onto the passenger side.

I pull the wheel off and take a look. Both pins are place, so I check the pads....Odd, only one pad is there, the caliper cylinder is pushing against the rotor on the other side. I looked underneath and found the missing pad dangling under the caliper. The two hooks that held it onto the caliper pins had sheared off.

Now this is probably the fault of aftermarket brake pads, and not Ford, but I've still never seen that before. I told her she can't drive it until I get a new set of pads on it tommorow.

I'll have to replace the rotors too, and possible the passenger side caliper since I bet the cylinder is all scored up from riding on the rotor.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The rubber must be shot in the caliper keys which is what those things are. Usually Ford calipers rust to those caliper slides and they don't come out at the best of times. If you are going to-do the front brakes you might aswell buy loaded calipers depending on the auto parts store you use you can buy remaned calipers and new brake shoes all in one.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I put loaded calipers 30k ago on this car, I'm not happy with the amount of wear on these so far.

I used new "keys" and applied grease to them before driving them in, getting the old ones out was a biatch.

They don't have any rubber, they are purely metal.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every Ford caliper pin i've ever seen (OEM and after market) always has a thick rubber strip filling the center of the pin. You definitely want to use a lot of grease on them as well. It sounds like it's the brake hardware, not the caliper that's failing. Those little clips that hold the brake pad to the caliper are known to fail prematurely.