Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regardless of whether you could actually mow at top speed, three things that I notice:

1. They put a ROPS on it, but where's the seatbelt?
2. I didn't notice any suspension, either frame or seat. At 25mph and without a seatbelt, I think one would have a hard time staying on the thing.
3. It's difficult to tell how the deck is suspended from the frame, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't hold up for long consistently mowing flat out.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd put some bitchin ape hangers on that.

Anybody that has employees, which is most of the LCO's out there, will never buy that because the employees will go across lawns at 25 mph and then you have customers complaining about speed. I get some complaints at 10 mph, I would lose all of them at 25 mph.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Just so I understand your "logic"...

What's the point of this and how does it relate to consistant velocity and why are you concerned with consistant velocity? The velocity you should be worried about is average velocity. In your own example of Warrior vs. Propline you clearly proved that the higher speed mower gets grass done quicker despite the fact that it must slow down for turns.

So the higher speed mower does and probably always will have a higher average velocity than the slower mower.
No, not if you have to slow down and speed back up, such as in smaller lots. Only on acre and larger lots does the faster machine break away from the smaller one, the Proline runs CIRCLES around the Z in smaller yards... And on larger lots, even thou the Z is twice as fast and has a deck 25% bigger, it didn't get done in less than half the time (but it should have).

It's a little bit like comparing a Nascar to a Go-kart: Take the two on a big oval track, and of course the Nascar wins. However, take the Nascar and the Go-kart to the smaller circuitious go-kart track, and I guarantee you the Go-kart will have finished the lap by the time the Nascar is still trying to figure out how to get around the turns.

That's my whole point, the only way I see that 25mph Z doing any good, first it will have to be a fixed deck (and it might be, judging from the pictures), and second it will still need HUGE lots so it has the ROOM to run at top speed for considerable distances, or it will be a waste of time and money.

I see guys on Z's on smaller lots all the time, I just shake my head at the inherent nonsense.
First they don't get done faster, second it eats a TON of fuel, third they act like it's all no big deal since the customer pays for it anyhow (big mistake ladies and gentlemen, BIG - I just took one such account, guy was charging $40 with his Z for what I do normally for $30 with my Wb).

Each and every mower made has a range of size yards it is best designed for (for example, the 48" Wb is designed for 1/4 - 3/4 acre lots), and it is in those size yards where said mower will make its best time.

Has everything to do with using the right equipment for the job.

Last edited by topsites; 10-14-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I suspect that they named it 'Mowhawk' after the way it cuts...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is the deck solid mounted?!? It doesn't look like the deck is a floater, at 25 mph that would be pretty interesting cut! Then whats with that discharge? Looks like a waste of money, a bunch of rich people will buy them up just to be cool and put 20's on the rear.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised no one else but me has noticed the deck is a rectangle.
Straight across in the front and rear.
That might account for the name "Mowhawk" LOL.....

Maybe it has timed blades?

Pic courtesy of Weve

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the pic Envy, I couldn't get the website to work.

If that small rectangular opening is supposed to be the discharge then all I have to say is "Good Luck" with that. To be able to cut grass fast you have to be able to get huge volumes of cut grass out from under the deck and that discharge ain't gonna do it.

The exposed hydro lines also look like they're just waiting to get caught on something too.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is some info on the deck from the MowHawk flier that I received at EXPO:

"No-gap overlap: Three blades in a row, with no gap. Fully synchronized to eliminate uncut stringers even when turning.

Power deck lift: Adjusts from 1 to 5 inches.

Shotgun Discharge: No clump clippings! Even wet, thick grass wouldn't dare to clump with your full time discharge blower...."
Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's starting to sound like a Walker on steriods. I'd like to try it on some of that Maryland crabgrass. If it'll discharge that cleanly it'll discharge anything.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What a joke. See what a can of worms DC opened when they proclaimed fastest mower? Anything over 10 mph is a waste and a hazard. The speed "gimmick" has went far enough. Why don't they market machines on important issues like cut quality, bearing life, ride smoothness, handling, belt longetivity and carbs that don't fail at the first speck of varnish. You redneck race fans had better get one of these real quick, because after their 2nd or 3rd liability lawsuit these clowns are gone.