Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone hear of doing this?

One more idea to run past the crowd....Anyone know of or hear of a Xmas tree delivery service? We live next to two beautiful tree farms and can get fresh cut, homegrown trees for $20. I am thinking of running an ad in the paper where people can call up and say for example "I want a 7', concolor, medium fullness, by Dec 10th"...we take the orders for a couple days straight, go up and cut/bale the trees, and delivery them for a couple days (just two weeks of work probably). I figure we can charge about $75/tree, but even if I can make $40 a tree, 100 trees would be a nice extra December piece of cash flow (and you know people will tip that time of year too)...Also wreaths, stands, etc are available. What do you guys think?
Old 10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i would go with the let people come get it and you deliver it for them you picking ti out for them they may not like it and not pay you
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am having some problems reading your response, but I think you said to let people pick the trees, and then deliver it for them. In my ad, it will read all sales are final, but I will still cut a couple extras and leave them on the trailer
Old 10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's a great idea. But of course you would want to take advantage of your current and past customer loyalty first. Perhaps in addition to running an ad, you could call all of your current in-season customers and also all of your past one-time customers (e.g. clean-ups) who like you and pitch the idea to them.

I think it would also be wise to consider other marketing techniques. Having small signs made up and posting them on corners or power poles in town saying simply, "Christmas Trees, Delivered to Your Door. 555-1212" could generate lots of leads too. Of course, please be courteous and take your signs down after the season is over.

Other marketing could be effective as well. Consider your target market (probably upper middle class) and where they shop, what kinds of services they already get, and how you can put your advertising in their face while they are using those services.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieFerris
One more idea to run past the crowd....Anyone know of or hear of a Xmas tree delivery service? We live next to two beautiful tree farms and can get fresh cut, homegrown trees for $20. I am thinking of running an ad in the paper where people can call up and say for example "I want a 7', concolor, medium fullness, by Dec 10th"...we take the orders for a couple days straight, go up and cut/bale the trees, and delivery them for a couple days (just two weeks of work probably). I figure we can charge about $75/tree, but even if I can make $40 a tree, 100 trees would be a nice extra December piece of cash flow (and you know people will tip that time of year too)...Also wreaths, stands, etc are available. What do you guys think?
are you going to set the tree up and decorate it too? i for one wouldn't pay someone $75 bucks for a $20 dollar tree just to deliver it to my house.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
are you going to set the tree up and decorate it too? i for one wouldn't pay someone $75 bucks for a $20 dollar tree just to deliver it to my house.

You might not, but then again if you are in this business you don't mind getting dirty and all that.

There are tons of people who would gladly pay for that service and $75 for a Christmas tree is a decent price. Essentially he is cutting out the middle man and becoming the delivery guy. A $20 wholesale tree is at least $45 on the christmas tree lot, plus at least $20 for delivery. So I would guess his price would be accepted by many.

I would just be concerned with the people who "want a fuller tree" or "this one is crooked" or whatever.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnwizards
Well, you may not. It depends on what part of the country you live in. But where I live, a Noble Fir costs $75 and up just for the tree! Forget delivery!

But then I know places where I can buy them wholesale for $45. So if I can deliver it to the person's home for the same price they can pick it up, it only makes sense!

Remember, the idea isn't being pitched to you. You probably wouldn't hire out for lawn service either. So what? It doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who would. The whole reason our industry exists is because we do work that people don't want to do and/or don't have the time to do. Getting a christmas tree is a fun experience that some people want to do themselves. But there are others who consider it a burden on their already busy lives. Those people are the target market.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon