Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

pulling trucks??

I have been looking for a new towing truck for my skid steer and excavation business for a while now,But I have a sale for my old one now,so I need to get serious now.I need something just a step bigger than a 1 ton,to safely and legally tow my 30' tandom dually gooseneck with the excavator and attatchments (total loaded trailer weight 20,000lbs +)

I really like the f-450 and 550,but I think they only come with a 6.0 litre navistar engine,and my brother who works at the local ford dealer says to never for any reason buy a 6.0,they have replaced over 30 navistar 6.0 this past year and repaired hundreds and this is at a small dealer (town population 16000)

I have asked about this at the various truck forums online,but usually get such brand loyal answers it hurts,so I thought I would try it here in the industry world and see what your real world expieriences are.

If the 450/550 wont do it I would consider a single axle freightliner or mac or Ih etc.thanx so much.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello stubble jumper

I hear you on the 6.0 the Ford dealers here can't fix them or don't know how to fix them. Seeing as you are in Alberta try find a good 33,000 or 35,000lb single axle 5 ton. Try find a T-300 Kenworth or a Pete 330 they are probably common in your area.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't even consider a 6.0L. Those engines are junk. There are too many recalls and horror stories on them. I know several guys who have them in a 450 or 550, and all of them have had some kind of problem, some that Ford can't seem to figure out until several trips to the dealer. I would go with a Chevy/GMC 4500 or 5500. Those are holding up good and the Duramax with the Allison is a strong combo. If you are set on a Ford, I'd go with a newer, used 7.3L. Like Gravel Rat said, the Kenworth or Pete would be a good idea if you want something bigger.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

RedHornet....I found myself there once. I bought a single axle bobtail to pull my stuff........and that's all it is good for. If I was to do it again, I would step up and buy a "real" dump truck. That way, you could put the truck to use and have that supplement the hoe. The cost is about the same for bob-tail or tandem around here. The braking power of a tandem is far superior to a bob-tail. If you do decide on a bob-tail, consider adding an exhaust brake cause you're gonna need all the brake you can get if you have any type of hills at all. It's not just the pulling power and carrying the weight that is important......it's being able to stop that is the primary importance when considering a tow vehicle.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had good luck with my 5500. I pull a 31' gooseneck with it. I load an excavator and a skid steer on it. The 5500 pulls real well. It is a very stable towing platform.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with a GMC 5500 if you NEED 4x4, if not get a Kenworth T-300 or a Peterbilt 330-335.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

In Alberta the market is flooded with trucks so I imagine redhornet will find a good deal. Places like www.camex.ca has good selections of trucks.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GR; I thought you've been complaining about NO trucks up in Canada??? Maybe I was mistaken; I guess you meant you see lots of great buys but don't have the $$$$$$$$. LOL LOL