Register free!

Old 06-30-2001, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting into irrigation

I have been giving irrigation some thought.

How exactly would I approach this? I obviously have to hit some courses to learn is this difficult? I hear also there is good money in irrigation is this true? What exactly is involved with this?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2001, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

You don't have to be a brain scientist to install sprinklers. You should read every book that you can get your hands on and go to the courses that are offered. I am amazed at how many installers (I call them hackers) jump into the sprinkler business onlyto make stupid mistakes and short cut jobs. I am sick of bidding against these people. Just do us all a favor and learn your stuff then do the jobs right. As far a money, yes you will make some. How much is dependent on how well and efficiently you can do the jobs. The entry barriers to irrigation are a little higher than most other landscape items so competition is less usually.
Old 07-01-2001, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried
http://jessstryker.com
?

Last edited by Island Lawn; 07-01-2001 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys. I never get into anything and half a** it. I want every other landscaper who knows about the stuff to come out and say "The guy who did this job knew what he was doing".

Not to mention when a customer hits you with a question. I want to be able to baffle them with my anwer before breaking it down into there terms =).

Thanks alot for the link Island thats awesome.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In southern New Jersey most of us that are truly competent and have been in the business for 20-30+ years are finding it difficult to prosper. Every fool who thought there was money in irrigation cut his prices to get into the business over the last 15 years. Prices I got for work in 1988 get me laughed out the door today. We survive on primarily service work and are gleefully paid our asking price to do competent repairs and provide knowledgable information and prompt service. BUt it has taken us years to build clientel.

Consumers in the Philadelphia suburban market are brutally price driven and try to buy a sprinkler system like a car or computer rather than the engineered product it needs to be.

Make the the demand and opportunity you see in your area can support the prices you need to do well.

Many people are diversifying to survive and the pie is getting cut into very small pieces that are not really very satisfying any more.