Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2000, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lazer, on your small equipment, how do you go about selling it? Advertise? How much do you recover of the original cost? I have thought about doing this to keep everything new and in good working order.
Old 03-17-2000, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I made the mistake of buying crapsman to get started. Went thru two of them in about 3 weeks. I got my money back and got smart, I went and baught a Toro 2 cycle. Haven't had any trouble with it.<br>Matt
Old 03-17-2000, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Keith,<br>Normally we sell 5-6 pieces word of mouth and to friends. The rest is sold at the Spring lawn maintenance auction held annually with a regional auctioneer.<p>We usually get 55-65% cumulatively.
Old 03-18-2000, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Craftsman and John Deere have the same engine? Hardly. Externally maybe, but that's where the resemblence stops. It is a fact that the John Deere engine is built better with closer tolerances and little things like Loc-Tite to hold it together. Ever see a grease fitting on a Craftsman? John Deere has them. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-18-2000, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why not just get a toro 36? why a 21 are the gates really that small?and homer i agree with you about the snappers i have a 48&quot; hydro w/b and its great bought it used 2 years ago and the only thing i have had to fix was the clutch and thats because the wire rubbed on the pully and i couldnt put another 1 in my favorite thing is you can adjust the tracking with a lever right there on the go<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-19-2000, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in canada. Craftsman mower here use a Tacumpsy(I'm sure that's not spelled right) and Johne Deere are running Kawasaki's.<br> <br>
Old 03-19-2000, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richard ,who ever told you that the specs for jd and tol,is full of crap.the only diff,is the end of the crank,these motors get put together the same way as they do for any other tractor.if they did not the rods would burn up or they would nock like hell.and so on and so on,and i sure as these engines are goining down the assy line <br>so get loctight and some don,t ya right
Old 03-19-2000, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want a cheapie try Home Depot, The Scotts brand there is manufactured by John Deere. I like Craftsman tools, but the worst mower I have ever used was a craftsman...the 21&quot; self propelled are geared at grandma speed, pushing it is a lot faster for buzzing into small areas.
Old 03-19-2000, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 21&quot; Lawn Boy last year. It has a 2 cycle 6.5 HP engine that is commercial duty. It cuts pretty well compared to cheapie 21 inchers. I don't like the offset wheel idea of the Lawn Boy but I also didn't want to pay over $500 for a mower.