Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hydraulic hand tamper for skidloader

I'm wanting to get hydraulic hand tamper to use off the hydraulics on my skidloader.I need it to compact around posts and along pipes that i'm installing.I was wondering what brand are out there and there prices and places to look to buy.

I have found Stanley has one that i liked .Most of the ones i have found run off low pressure under 2000 psi and low 7 to 15 gpm flow.My skid is like 32 grm and 3000 lb pressure ,so not sure i can find one that would run that high of pressure and flow.

Was checking also to see if i could maybe use a hydraulic pressure and flow regulator of some kind.Have any of you guys used any other hydraulic power tools that you need to regulate the flow or pressure on??????

Hoping for some help ! Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty simple. The Stanley LBTO8 backfill tamper ( $2,400 ) is part of the Lynx System. You can buy a converter to step down the hydraulic pressures or a complete set-up to run other types of hand held hydraulic units. Lots of info on the web.......for starters, check out equipmentland.com......they post a phone number to call -
Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just gave the net a quick browse myself.....A converter cost $2400. The hydraulic tamper cost $2400. So you will have $4,800 plus hoses and who knows what else to get this thing off the ground.
You can buy an air compressor, an air tamper and even a generator to run the whole shootin match for a whole lot less than $5,000......and in the process keep running your skid steer......I know air hoses are alot lighter to lug around than hydraulic hoses......just a passing thought
Old 10-22-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will check with my dealer and see if they can help with what i need to do about a restricter valve.I had one on my backhoe and it worked okay.I did see that Fairmont has a pole tamper at around 1100 and 1300 hundred dollars.

The time the skid will be used on the pipe laying install is included on the time of the pipe install.

At one time i did find that i think it was racine or Ramsey made a tamper also.Just haven't find them on the web again.

Don't want to go the air compressor route ,just another piece of equipment that i won't use enough to have around,plus just another piece to maintain.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another option would be to get a concrete breaker. You can replace the breaker point with a tamping attachment. You would then have an attachment that you can remove concrete and do compaction with. You would achieve a much higher compaction density with a set up like this with a lot less physcial labor. New I paid about 6K for my Okada breaker. Used is about half. They can get expensive to work on but if you mainly did compaction with it, it woud be difficult to wear it out.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The breaker setup with the plate would be ok if i was working with a trench or have jobs of more area.

The jobs i would be doing is like tamping around the posts for fence lines ,or around poles in a pole building .Getting the breaker at the angle you need to compact close to the post might me a problem,plus the size of breaker if you hit poles might do a lot of damage.Pipes are thick steel,not a problem there,just need to be able to get in close to the bottom of the pipe to start with because of the curve of the pipe.

Just thought for what i needed done the hand tamper would be more to the size jobs i do.

I also build ponds ,so goverment says the pipes have to be hand tamped.Using hedge posts to hand tamp is real manual labor.I have run hand breaker doing concrete breaking when younger.So compacking dirt is a breeze except when it is a 100 dergree plus!

The pipes are 6" to 24" and between 90 to 140 feet long.The dirt,clay has to be tamped in close to the bottom of the pipe so need a smaller foot to start with. After we get up over half way of the pipe we can just wheel or track roll it in along the pipe.

Like all goverment it is just enough to make them happy.As you can tell the area needed compacted is fairly small,just thought if i could get reasonable priced hand tamper it would work to keep the goverment happy!!!!!!!

I would be using my skid to bring in the backfill dirt on pipe job and the use the auger on skid to dig the holes for the pole buliding and fences.

Dragging the hoses wouldn't be to bad because if i was using my skid i would be working close to the area i'm compacting.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ConstructO.....another option, since you are looking at $5,000 plus for this little adventure. How bout looking at a used Water Company Truck. Their Medium Duty trucks usually have compressors set up on them, with air outlets at the front of the truck. Have that as your work truck that hauls your skid OR maybe the Water Co. in your area sells some of the used tampers? Just a thought.....
KSSS, good idea on the breaker......bonus points on that one..... I could use that set-up tomorrow to compact behind a wall, would ya mind just bringing it over for a day or two?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Whats wrong with the good ol jumping jack?