Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2000, 06:36 PM
Major Tom

<br>I've been reading this forum for a few months and I have found it quite helpful.<p>One quick question.<p>Just came across my first poison rash for this year, and I would like to know what all you guys use to prevent and or heal all types of poison?<p>Thanks in advance.<p>
Old 03-16-2000, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know of anything that prevents poisining but my wife uses Calomine Lotion for hers. She is so allergic that she gets it just from putting my clothes in the wash machine. I have a property that is 4 acres that was covered with it. We sprayed it with Killex several times last year and I always carry spot spray with me when I cut it. We seem to have it under control for now, but will have to keep $praying it every year.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't been alergic to ivy in years. Last year I got some on my ankles,both of them.I thought I could get rid of it with regular ivy medicne. Didn't work because my socks made me sweat and it spread. It got infected and I had to see a Doctor. I am still using medicated cream on the areas and the areas are still very red.Don't take poison ivy lightly as I found out.The ivy juice can last a long time in clothing if it is not washed in hot soapy water.The ivy is on the increase in my area,most properties have some.
Old 03-16-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.gemplers.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe?FNM=00&SKW=1CGPPI&UID=2000031621153689&quot;&gt;Gemplers Poisonous Plant & Insect Protection&lt;/a&gt;, and you'll find a pre-exposure and post exposure treatment. <p>Also check with your doctor. There used to be an annual injection you could get to prevent poison ivy infection, but they stopped making it. I thought I heard that it will be available again. Tomorrow, going to meet a friend who gets rash regularly. If he has any news (he's waiting for injections to come back), I'll let you know tomorrow evening.<p>Sorry guys, I don't know your pain. Never been allergic myself. Drives people nuts that I can pull it out by bare hands.<br><p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 03-16-2000, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The poisin part is oil based it never goes away. It will last forever. They say that as you get older your imunity to it lessens and you will get it worse.
Old 03-17-2000, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The foolproof way is to avoid it where possible. Washing with LOTS of soap and water when you know you have been exposed, like within the hour, will minimize the rash. Have your physician give a prescription for Claritin or the equivalent, it will minimize the rash and the rash will clear in a couple days, OTC antihistimines like Benadryl also work but may make you dopey.<p>Bill
Old 03-17-2000, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait a minute,<p>I heard washing with soap can worsten the situation (spreads it around) is that true or is it something else?
Old 03-17-2000, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Old 03-17-2000, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys have it so lucky... I contract poison ivy by just being downwind and breathing it, but every year it's the same ol' same-o: I just have to tough it out. The absolute best solution I have ever encountered is back in high school when I'd haul hay, mow, go fishing... was when I'd go swimming in a chlorinated pool. When swimming you're not scratching or rubbing the skin and getting the ivy &quot;juice&quot; in your eyes, neck, etc. For the 2-3 years my parents had a pool I never had poison ivy.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I was wrong about the injections. They are not coming back. But my friend has had good results with the pre-exposure lotion and the oral pre-exposure on the site I listed above.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana