Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here...if it doesn't need to be cut...Im just not gonna cut it. But I'll let em know...and I think they respect that.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
You can market honesty and integrity like any other service.
I've been advertising myself as a "groundskeeping service"

I decide the mowing schedule. Of course that wouldn't last very long if I was out there mowing dead grass.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I mow as-needed. The majority get cut once a week with a few bi's for most of the year. During drought or in fall I run my route as usual if I am not sure of growth, and just skip the ones that don't need it. Almost all know that if I skipped it I didn't think it needed cut, and I think they appreciate it. No complaints that's for sure. A few key phone calls keeps everone else informed. I just never understood the guys who cut weekly duning times of drought/slow growth. I would feel like i was cheating them. I don't figure people pay for other services that are not neccessary, why should lawn maintenance be any different?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to skip mowing when it was not needed, but the last 10 years I mow if it needs it or not because I need the $$$$ If they don't want it mowed all they have to do is call, Its up to them.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i would keep going around the the accounts to make sure they dont need cut, ive had a lot of people tell me that it doesent need it this week and when i show up next week it takes twice as long to do it b/c its so tall
Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yet another good reason to go to a set price yearly contract. I would guarantee the grass would be cut as often as needed from Jan 1 to Dec 31. in some months it was cut 4-5 times, in other months maybe once or twice... when the season started getting slower in that months invoice ot the month before i woudl jot a note lettingthe customers know that as the season gets cooler the grass wont grow as much(florida) and that i would most likley be going to a 10 day cut schedule and then on to a 14 day cut schedule as the weather dictated.

I also put a note stating that if anyone had any special events parties, ect schedules at their house to let me know the dates and Id make a point to swing by and check on the lawn a few days before to ensure nothing was needed.

Never had any complaints. I made sure to stop buy each property at least twice a month and if nothing else, check the sprinklers, prune some shrubs or just blow off the drive way...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have run into that problem as well. I like to go over to the customers house to see though. If I don't think it needs to be mowed, I dont mow it. Bottom line, its MY CALL, not my customers call!

I also like to go past the property incase tree brqnches or such have fallen or there is trash on the property. If there is, I will clean in up and take it away. My customers properties reflect my companies image and I want that image to be an excellent one!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not mowed for 2 weeks now...Even saw some of that white stuff falling from the clouds.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my customers are yearly contracts and they get a copy of my yearly frequency schedule. jan-1
feb-1
march-1or2
april -2
may weekly
june weekly
july weekly
aug weekly
sept weekly
oct -2
nov-2
dec -1
Of course every october some one always calls asking why I didnt show up and I tell them this is the transition month from weekly to biweekly.

Now I have some that are not contracts and they have to call and prepay.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rose gardening
I used to skip mowing when it was not needed, but the last 10 years I mow if it needs it or not because I need the $$$$ If they don't want it mowed all they have to do is call, Its up to them.

Shoddy business practice. It's all about the $, right?

It's YOUR job to determine if the turf needs cutting. YOU are doing the lawn care, and it's what you're being paid for. YOU are supposed to be the "expert", who has some degree of knowledge of turfgrass.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!