Register free!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still not buying it. $130.00 to spray a little Gloyposate? And thats it? Who sprays the lawn? Who does the Fert? Who cuts the grass? Who plows the snow? I can not believe that a fast food chain is willing to pay you $130.00 a visit, to see if they have weeds in there maintenance beds and cracks around the store. And it is more unbelievable that they want you to travel to 200 stores some 175 miles apart from each other to only do that. I say Nomoreweeds is not an applicator. I say Nomoreweeds is a BK or Mc Donald district manager trying to check pricing on his contractors. And you guys including my wife fell for it! PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Great posts

I appreciate the great replies. To reiterate, my estimate would be $130.00 per store, per trip(requires at least 2 trips a day)but the big question is : How much can I charge for drive time and gas etc. Oh and as a BK or MD district manager, I sure smell like herbisides alot and not all fast food stores have lawns.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I call BS too... 130 for a round up app ? How big is the area ? what does the 130 include? Placing all your eggs in one basket like that is nerve racking. We did it and still got 75% of our accts with one managment company. While they continue to add more and more accts (5 commerical and 1 residential this year) you always gotta sweat losing em)

Why isnt the local landscape companies that care for the properties maintaining this as well ? You can bet if you were asked to bid and you try for full retail on your price your going to be wasting your time bidding because someone wont be smart enough to bid intelligently and will lowball your price. No matter if your service is better or what they are going to be looking at the dollar signs.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreweeds
I appreciate the great replies. To reiterate, my estimate would be $130.00 per store, per trip(requires at least 2 trips a day)but the big question is : How much can I charge for drive time and gas etc. Oh and as a BK or MD district manager, I sure smell like herbisides alot and not all fast food stores have lawns.
Now you set my doubts in gear.
What do you mean 130 per store per trip and 2 trips per day? that would be 260. per day per store times 200 stores, now let me see 260X200=52000.00
52,000.00 times how many days? Damn you can retire by July!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

trips

2 trips per year.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, two visits a year. And $130 per year per store. That sounds legit. What you really what to know is what to charge for travel. The Question is, What does it cost me to drive there? A licensed, experienced, applicator with the right equipment can gross $120 to $160 an hour doing applications in a residential area where the lawns are 2 to 5 K and their customer list is not spread out. Some would say that then your travel time is worth $120 to $160 an hour. The type of applications you are talking about in a spread out area should still be bringing you $40 to $60 per hour from the time you leave the shop till you get back. Some would say that you window time should be estimated at that. The theory is that if you are driving around with your sprayer, you could be spraying, and there for the rate should be the same. It cost us $32 an hour for me and my truck. Thats a 79 Chev that is payed for. A little for gas and insurance and a minimal wage for my time. I would never estimate travel for any less. The standard in my area for LCO's and other contractors is travel time one way. So we always estimate drive time one way from the shop to the job site. For each job. It does not make any difference if the jobs are close to each other or far apart. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

spray bid

Okey, you understand my problem now. Your right about having to charge for travel time, the problem is they want a quote for all the stores, one lump sum. I almost have to quote each store as a worst case senerio as far as travel goes. If I have a call back at 3 or 4 stores a 100 miles out I am working for nothing. I am not sure I can bid this job to be cost effective for the customer. I think your wife has had the best answer yet. I think if a person can fiqure drive time and fuel cost based on the plan your wife illustrated, I think you cover everthing unless I am missing something. By the way thats $130.00 per visit twice a year. Call backs are at my expense. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

hey i am not sure how i would frigue this one out. All i know is that is you ever want to sub some out give me a call. I have my pesticide license and live in the west metro.
Thanks,
Andy
2001 Peterbilt Model 330
2007 Zplug
2009 Bobcat S185
2011 John Deere Z925
2013 John Deere Z925
2013 John Deere 652B

http://andyslawnservice.com
Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you can find a guy to sub for the farthest ones great....If not Pick your average for material, travel, labor, etc. and base that for your estimate.

You will lose a little on the farther ones and win on the closer ones.

When you do the farther ones, just spend another 5 minutes to make sure you got all the corners etc. to avoid the call back.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreweeds
Not sure what you are......if you're a licensed applicator learn how to spell HERBICIDE.......if you're a store manager just say so and pose your question accordingly