Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
do you run a few decades behind crawdad?

the compound bow has been popular for about 50 years and you just bought one last year?

GEO

Why yes, in fact, I do run a few decades behind, by my own choice.
As I said, I prefer my recurve bow, that I've been using since I quit whittling longbows out of wild cherry wood, and stringing them with hayrope.

Another example is when, instead of using a 7mm rem mag, I'd rather tote my Dad's old double-12, which I used last year to score this trophy.

Last edited by crawdad; 11-20-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth1967
let me say this you woulnt find a more challenging way to hunt.especially wild pigs
When I lived in hawaii (decades ago) the natives would go pig hunting without guns. Just dogs and knives. I respectfully declined the invitation to join them.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=geogunn]my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

and I don't mean the mentally handicapped.

yes, thats right. I thing my state is that way
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS
They are more accuarate & as much or more power than a compound bow, so moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail, big horn sheep, black bear should all be considered. I know a lot of hunters that have taken moose, elk & bear with a compound, so go for it.

This is good.............Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo22
i bought one last yr but did not get the chance to use it...i have the horton legend 175...very, very accurate...i would not hesitate to shoot at 48-55 yds..of course i have practiced plenty at that range...i took a doe at 43yds opening weekend...made a perfect hit...when we skinned and opened her up i was very shocked at the damage that it did...her lungs were literally shattered to bits...exit hole was about 2-2 3/4 inches...she traveled about 30yds max after the hit...lots of blood on the trail...i have had this discussion with one of my best friends...he says that it is cheating...well, i do not consider a compound to be any more primitive than a crossbow...i tell him that when he puts one down with a longbow then he has a point, until then shut the he11 up...getting an animal within 40yds with any type of bow is the challenge in my eyes...i wouldn't hesitate to shoot at any animal except a bear...i would want a gun-period...

Good info, glad to hear of your success with it..........
Old 10-27-2006, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
When I lived in hawaii (decades ago) the natives would go pig hunting without guns. Just dogs and knives. I respectfully declined the invitation to join them.

I haven't gone pig hunting yet and someday I will, but it won't be with a "pig sticker".................
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of nephews used to utilize a cross-bow, shooting at Carp in the old I&M Canal down around Shanihon Il. Until the Carp starting smelling like stink from a 8x10 box .