Register free!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New leaf rig

Here's my thoughts,

I have a loadtrail 6.5 x 14 dump equiped with 24" sides. I am thinking that I can fabricate some side extensions from 1 1/2" sqr. tube to make the sides 48" tall. Then I take some pressure treated 1/2" plywood and attach to the inside of the trailer along both sides and the front. After this, fabricate a tailgate that will hinge at the top with my spanking new billygoat leaf loader attached. Ok... cover it all with a mesh tarp to allow the air out. This set-up will give me 13 cu. yds. capacity. With the loader attached to the tailgate, I can remove the tarp and gate in the off season and use the trailer for whatever else. What do you guys think? Any ideas or thoughts? Comments? Thanks

Yardworks
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you need to make the box bigger.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bigger?

13 cu. yds. capacity not enough you think? Does anyone know that the typical leaf box mounted in a pick-up bed volume is? I was assuming a length of 8 feet, a width of 6 feet and a height of 6 feet. That would yield a total volume of 10.66 cu. yds. I could go to a height of 6 feet instead of 4 feet and get 20 cu. yds. This set-up would cost about twice as much to construct. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for the reply.

Yardworks
Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just talked to a friend who suggested that I fabricate a tailgate that attaches to the rear of the existing trailer. (same basic design as listed in my first post) He says to make the gate 6 feet tall. Then fabricate a headboard from steel tube and plywood the same height as the tail gate. Again using steel tubing, fabricate 'bows" that will support a fitted mesh tarp to cover/enclose the trailer. This way, I don't have so much steel/fabrication in making extended sides.
I know that I can get a fitted tarp in what ever size I need. My only concern is that the tarp will not hold up to use like solid plywood sides will. Going this route will get the larger capacity that 'willretire' was talking about. I can buy a fitted tarp cheaper than I can fabricate steel tube/plywood sides.

So, does this sound better or should I stick with my original idea?

Yardworks