Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2000, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think a dealer has to stay open and keep a nuber of employees year round to keep the same sales reps so people will come back and offer service and pay rent and buy millions in equipment and on and on but its true there a dealers like the one i buy from who supplies all of the golf course equipment (john deere) for most of my county and boy he makes bucku and i mean bucku bucks. But the small dealers have it worse than any grass cutiing operation i can know and i know many maintenance cos who make out better than most of these dealers. So if you like it when a low bidder or a chepo customer comes along than you know what its like. Just think if you had a million in inventory and a guy wants 500 off so he can make 40k this summer with no worries.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to understand 1 more thing. My dealer became rich in part because he took on a new mower line called eXmark in 1987. Exmark was a standard run-of-the-mill walk-behind aka Bobcat, Kees, Bunton, etc.<p>Then around 1990, Exmark turned the corner: 60&quot; floating deck on a walk-behind, Hydro drive, combine that with Jungle Wheels and you had a mower years ahead of the competition. Add to that the 3-Wheel rider and later the Lazer Z. Commercial guys couldn't buy them fast enough! And this 1 dealer had protected dealer rights for eXmark for a market with 1+ million. <p>He could name his price. That's where I get a little irritated.
Old 03-17-2000, 08:30 PM
Banned

Lazer-<p>I found out yesterday that the local Toro dealer who prices very high has the exclusive Toro Dealership for our area. Only problem for him, now a guy across town got an Exmark dealership and is selling them for &quot;reasonable&quot; market value. I think I'm going to see a lot of my competition on Exmarks in the not too distant future.&lt;p&gt; I hope the $8500 Toro 222 man enjoys the peace and quiet. When everyone realizes how bad they have been getting treated, this guy will lose some business. &lt;P&gt;The Dixie Chopper Dealer in our area supposedly has given up his dealership because Toro is so strong. I can't imagine, but that's how they say it went. The Dixie Chopper dealer gave me a price of full list, too and I don't play that game. He had a mower that I wouldn't trust to mow a postage stamp weekly and wanted $3500 for it because it said &quot;Dixie Chopper&quot; on it. I mean this thing was junk!&lt;p&gt;The Exmark dealer is letting guys demo the Z for a day. He knows I'm not in the market for one and said I could demo it for a day anyway. I may take him up on it just so I can say I did. These guys sold Snapper and Gravely before, so I think they have taken a step in the right direction.&lt;p&gt;John
Old 03-17-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Retro, you may not be in the market to buy one, but you will remember him letting you try it for a day and you will probably end up buying enough stuff from him to make it worth his while. Thats good business. I wish we had more dealers like that.<p>A dealer I had dealt with for a long time informed me that the Scag distributor would not allow potential customers to demo mowers like that anymore. I wanted to try a Turf Tiger. I probably would not have bought it but who knows. I went to a Kees dealer two days later with no intention on buying one, I was going to get a Lazer later on He let me demo the Kees and I bought it. You never know what the customer might do if you treat them right.<p>I also think your Toro dealer might adjust his pricing if the Exmark dealer starts taking all of his business. Simple supply and demand.