Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

outdoor kitchens

Haven't done one yet, have been asked but always say no. I probably am going to build one at my bros house to time myself, and get a handle on materials. As far as building one with straight block and veneering it with cultured stone, or out of regular wall block I don't think its a problem either way. but I do have some questions. 1)Do you need to fill in the centers of the wall or can I leave them hollow? How much does a gas line cost to run?(obviously I understand the longer the more expensive, but ballpark) I am going to build an "L" type, i'd love some pics of ones you guys have done. are there certain types of granite counter tops that can be used outside, or are they all ok? Are the granite countertops just adhered to the block? Thanks a bunch for any info!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am also looking into doing outdoor kitchens. my research so far tells me that almost any granite and tile is good for outdoor use. also, there are alot of good quality outdoor appliances from Viking and a few others. I won't mess w/ gas lines or plumbing, just gonna sub a plumber for all of that. not many people on here seem to do Outdoor kitchens, I have asked for info and pics in the past and gotten very little response.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys have a UniLock rep nearby? At our annual stone yard supplier sponsored seminar last year they had some really great info on outdoor kitchens and fireplaces. I don't see the info they presented on their website, so maybe if you can get hold of a rep or even contact UniLock themselves they may be able to hook you up with some info.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cedar, I don't plan on doing either myself. Will a plumber do the gas? I thought it might be someone totally different, if its the same i'd put a sink in as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

most plumbers also do gas service. that works out because it becomes a one stop shop, water, gas etc all in one shot.
Green Pro, thanks for the info about Unilock. I am gonna contact my dist. and see if they can set me up with a rep with design ideas etc.
I am going to send out a direct mailing in the spring geared toward outdoor kitchens, entertainment centers and SHOWERS!!
you'd be surprised how many people are into showering outside.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe outdoor kitchens and even (fire pits) should be constucted with natural stone.

Outdoor kitchens are costly. And if one is going to spend the money, then they need to go all the way, and get it done right with real stone.

We install man made concrete wall block every week.

But I'm a stone fanatic.

Man made concrete wall block reminds me of colored contact lenses....
Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I shower outside all summer long. DVS thanks in advance for the pics you're gonna post...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Outdoor kitchens out of SRW block looks tacky!

I would always recommened going pouring a footing, laying block, and using real or cultured stone.

Matt
Old 11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

I have a picnic pavallion in my back yard and of course a few allen block walls around it and my pool. How ever i have my home up for sale and plan on building in the spring. Of course i will have a pav. area i have a round 1 acre of ground. I love to barbecue and have 3 grills. I think my gen air in side of block would be nice. I am also looking for ideas. As far as a fire pit that doesent turn me on but i agree natural stone would look better.
Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the 1970's they had that FAKE brick paneling that people used to put up in their kitchens, etc.

Then it went out of style.

Thats what concrete wall block reminds me of, in terms of outdoor kitchens, fire pits, and grill enclosures.

REAL stone NEVER GOES out of style....