LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFESSORRAIN
Look at it like this mv don't come on NOTHING GETS WATER
That's why I use a high quality valve..
Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Mv

It would bad to let a $55.00 ruin a landscape.quality is not the question then why not use all peb valves?I would just rather have to deal w/one valve per zone.MV ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD SCHOOL!Unless you have a sports feild or something in that range of work.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It would bad to let a $55.00 ruin a landscape.quality is not the question then why not use all peb valves?I would just rather have to deal w/one valve per zone.MV ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD SCHOOL!Unless you have a sports feild or something in that range of work.
I guess I'm old school then....
I can count on my hand in the past 15 years that a customer has called, from a system I installed, and said" My PEB master Valve is not working" Zero times. You don't know how many times I have had the call " My zone wont close" from other contractors systems.. MANY TIMES..
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We only use scrubbing valves for masters.

However, we only install masters on systems that are out of our service area, or watering bluffs where serious erosion could happen due to a stuck valve.

We use the Rainbird DVF-100 for our usual zone valves, thanks to the screened solenoid the chances of them sticking are very slim. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of valves I've seen stick.

That said, to all you master valvers, remember that diaphragm valves work on a pressure differential between the two sides of the diaphragm. If the timer closes the zone valve before trying to close the master valve it will never close because the pressure on both sides of the diaphragm remains constant. So your mainline is still under constant pressure.

Because of this, I don't consider a master valve as protection for poly mainlines. They will shut the moment the main bursts, but the damage is already done.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Mv

MY POINT EXACTLY!INSTALL ONE VALVE NO GUESSING WHAT'S IN THE GROUND.PLUS THEY MAKE A FLOW -CLIK NOW.Sorry about caps!No two fitters do it the same way,sounds like it works for you.Oh yea is your landscape thru or is there possibility of hitting a wire with later shoveling?Just a question had a customer when I was a supplier put in MV on every job got in special order something or another, help cut one wire, guess which?one guess as long as you guess the one going to MV.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
MY POINT EXACTLY!INSTALL ONE VALVE NO GUESSING WHAT'S IN THE GROUND.PLUS THEY MAKE A FLOW -CLIK NOW.Sorry about caps!No two fitters do it the same way,sounds like it works for you.Oh yea is your landscape thru or is there possibility of hitting a wire with later shoveling?Just a question had a customer when I was a supplier put in MV on every job got in special order something or another, help cut one wire, guess which?one guess as long as you guess the one going to MV.
Please elucidate.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

mv

his help cut wire to the mv no power no water no living bush or tree.my point is I am comfortable w/o MV.I'm glad to get calls about valves not shutting down.thank about a chicken farmer you thank he smells the chicken dump or does it smell like money?????
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
his help cut wire to the mv no power no water no living bush or tree.my point is I am comfortable w/o MV.I'm glad to get calls about valves not shutting down.thank about a chicken farmer you thank he smells the chicken dump or does it smell like money?????
If the line is broken, with or without a MV, your going to get a call for the repair. I'd rather get the call during the day rather than at 8:00 at night.

-Another "Old School" MV Installer (but new to the whole irrigation thing)
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Mv

So manyy advances have been made in irrigation in just a couple of years it's just money I don't spend,luckily i have had no problems so far if it becomes a problem i'll go back to school.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have also used the MV terminal in the controller to turn on a fertilizer injector pump. So even if you are not using the function for a true Master Valve it still has applications. I have never actually seen anyone use a master valve here in AZ. I started in 1980 and thats a lot of systems.