Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2001, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget about that battery!

I made a brief reference to some battery-related bike trouble in my post describing the recent trip down south, ultimately I can blame only myself for the problem!

The battery is (was!) well into it's 3'rd season. Having NEVER had any problems with it before, I didn't even think about checking it when I went over the bike prior to my trip. All the obvious things like oil/filter, new plugs etc got done, but like a lot of people I just took the battery & charging system for granted.

Until I went to start the bike in Franklin Indiana and had......................Nothing.

I'd like to be able to say I realized the problem right away & put a new battery in. Unfortunately I'd be lying if I did.

After checking things like the main fuse, battery cables & starter solenoid, I gave up & called a wrecker, figuring maybe a boost was all I'd need 'cause everything looked OK.

We got it started, but it wouldn't stay running. I began to fear the worst - charging system kaput. The wrecker operator suggested taking the caps off & checking the battery. Sure enough, looked pretty dry in there.

After having the bike dropped off where I was going, a friend gave me a ride into town to look for a new battery. Happily, the right one was readily available & in it went.

750+ miles later, no problems have come up. Looks like the battery itself was the problem.

I'm sure if I had checked it before leaving I'd have seen it was a bit low. (For that matter, if I'd been thinking ahead I would have replaced the battery before I headed out "just in case") Riding for long periods of time in the hot weather was enough to do the battery in, to the point where it said "Enough!" and left me sittin'.

Moral of the story: Don't forget about that battery! Check it & replace if neccesary BEFORE you wind up like I did!