Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2001, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bans, restrictions ect...

With all the bans going in place, besides the manufactures, why have we, liscensed aplicators insist our states not allow places like lowe's, Home Depot to sell ANY type of pesticide\fertilizer.

Today, for example, I had a new client ask me why he had all these brown spots. At first, I thought they were urine burns from his dogs. Upon closer inspection, notorious "round-up" burn.

Me: Did you spray anything on your lawn?

Customer: Yes, the guy at Orchard Supply Hardware said this would kill the weeds in the lawn.

The point that I'm trying to make is why allow places mentioned above to sell ferts and hebicides??? It's the homeowner 90% of the time that causes all the problems with excess use or improper use of products.

Just a thought....
John
Old 07-25-2001, 09:01 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Attached is a pic I took this month. Notice how the tree and fence line was done.

But the homeowner was too stupid to spray the weeds at the curb.

You can never work for homeowners like this on an extended basis for they are just plain stupid with a I can do it better for cheap attitude.

Besides if you are a lawnboy (mowing only contractor) and the home owner pulls this stunt everybody with think you were the idiot who applied non selective to turf.

You have to sell a complete package to homeowners and state in the contract that they cannot apply to the turf k-mart pesticides.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:02 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2001, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this is everyones feeling around here too. lets see, smart things ive seen a homeowner do with chemicals: one man unscrewed the top to a one gallon bottle of roundup and poured it over his lawn, cus he was tired of cutting it. he did this twice with 2 gallons. another man i observed , after pouring out the granular grub treatment into his scotts spreader, and seeing it was "chuncky" he proceeded to break up the clumps with his bare hands, then wipe them on his shorts. removed the cigatette from his mouth, and applied the material all the while being barefoot and shirtless. just yesterday, i saw a guy standing there, watching his son spray round up on the sidewalk, the boy was barefoot and his feet were soaked with the roundup i could see they were all wet, he was getting more on his feet than the walkway. and i need a permit?????/
Old 07-25-2001, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gotta love home owners. How about the guys that spray round up on a walkway....then walk through it....then walk on the lawn....love the bright yellow foot steps. Some bright radio show host said to use round up on the lawn to kill crab grass. Should have seen all the lawns in this area that looked like your picture lawrence
Old 07-25-2001, 05:40 PM
Banned

Does Round Up on lawns act as a growth regulator? Might we save more time in the summer by a spring ap?