Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both Husky and Stihl are good saws. I had a Husky for quite a few years but my father in law was cutting circles around me with his Stihl 029. So last year I went out and bought the MS310 and now I'm cutting circles around him!! Actually mine is just a bit bigger then his, they both cut very well. I considered the MS440 but didn't want to spend that much.

The 270 will be a good saw.

Buck
Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris
for $500 you can get a 570 husquvara and then you'll have a real saw. I log in the winter when I'm not mowing or landscaping and all we use is husqvarna saws. They seem to run a bit faster and vibrate less. I understand you have your heart set on a stihl but do yourself a favor and look at the other brands.
I can understand your admiration for the Husky saws. But for me, like all of my lawn care 2-cycle tools, dealer support comes into play. We do not have a Husky dealer close by. Besides, like you saw, everyone has their favorites. I have a good friend in the land clearing business and they use chain saws day in and day out just as you do. He uses nothing but Stihl and does not have problems. I am sure the same can be said for many brands. However, on the off chance something does go wrong and it needds parts or repair, I would rather have my Stihl dealer close by rather than have to drive hours to get to a Husky dealer.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. I think I will like the 270 as well. I am adding it to my Christmas list..............

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I love the stihl chain saws.I bought a new MS460 with a 25 inch bar about a year ago and nothing stops this saw.
It is a little heavy if you use it for extended periods of time.
My first stihl was a 028 farm boss, it is a really good saw but is tired now and needs retirement.
You will not go wrong with a Stihl saw.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care
I have searched for this can cannot quite find the answers I am looking for. So here it goes...

I am a big fan of Stihl products and of course Christmas is comming soon. I have told my wife that I want to get a new Stihl Chainsaw for Christmas, but I do not know which one I should get. Up to this point, I have had a homeowner grade Chaftsman and it has served me well. However, now that I am in the Business, I want a better saw that I can depend on.

It will primarily be used for large hedge trimming, tree limb removal and cleanup, and the occasional tree dropping.

I have 20 acres of land that we will also be dropping some trees on in preparation to build a house in a few years, but we are not talking major logging work. Just some trees here and there that are in the way.

I want a good powerful saw, but I would like to not spend $700-$800 either. I would like to stay in the $400-$500 range. And I am not going to buy a homeowner model, but what is the big difference in the Mid-Grade and Professional Models? What Models do you guys suggest and your expereince?

i have nothing but good things about about stihl.i personally use a shindawa and i yhink its great