Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Do you treat dormant lawns?
Yes, I need the money 1 9.09%
No, no benefit 7 63.64%
Let the customer decide 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2001, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wHAT DO YOU DO???

OK, for you guys who's goal is to retain cutomers over a long period of time-what do you do? The lawn is dormant. No rain in sight. They refuse to water. Do you treat the lawn or do you skip or postpone the app? OK if you say it will help bring it out of dormancy when it rains, how about this scenario: you said that on the last visit-it is still dormant 6 weeks later-do you treat it or take the hit and skip/postpone it? Just curious.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have this situation comming up soon. My next app. is in two weeks and with 50% of my lawns toast I will be sending letters to those customers and giving them a credit.

I may hold off a week or two to see if it rains though.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:09 AM
Millenium Member

Hummmm..... I wonder if my cable company will give me a credit if I don't watch TV this month?

Personally, I have a business to run, I make a visit to treat the lawn, I treat what is needed and leave my bill. If it's toast I do not spray Iron and only spot spray with the approprate herbicide. If they chose not to water then that is their issue, in the long run it looks bad on you. I have started only accepting new fertilizer customers who have irrigation.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Educate
During the drier conditions Ido apply a poly coated product 50% on lawns I know that have been shown good drought recovery in the past. My news letter emphisizes on thorough scouting on the property looking for problems that my reduce the lawns recovery when the rains return in late Aug.. My accounts know that if their lawn isnt fertilizered they are still billed for my time spent scouting the property. Fertilizing rates are cut back, but applied to give the lawn some type of food when the rains return promoting a quicker recovery. A fertilized lawn will recover much quicker and become more fuller when the desired rains return. What happens if you do not scout that lawn and find later that it had chinch bugs, sod web worm, you'll have alot of explaining to do because you didnt get down on your hands and knees to look a little closer. lawns that have performed poorly in the past droughts I post pone until a good rain returns. I do my accounts on a 7 week cycle and if we still havn't had rain then I will post pone the lawn app. till 8-9 weeks. Think back to the past droughts and how most lawns did come back and the ones that didint were already in poor shape. The worst drought in 88 I went through ( I had heat stroke that year) lawns didnt come back because of alot of insect activety that I missed and I learned alot that year. I will never be afraid of the droughty conditions and my customers if you do a little educating, if yor accounts have trust in you, you'll make it through it.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

KIRBYSLAWN,

How would that look bad on me???

more info please

lets see, I give a credit, The customer sees there bill, They are happy (less to pay this month), They call and thank me for being honest(or mabey wright THANKS on there check).

How could this POSSIBLY make me look bad???
Old 07-24-2001, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I apply harmony product, saltt index is low so i can apply even in dry condition. also we cut between 2 to 4 inches.

Stripes America in Eric Memories.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:54 AM
Millenium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenquestlawn
KIRBYSLAWN,

How would that look bad on me???

I stated "If they chose not to water then that is their issue, in the long run it looks bad on you. I have started only accepting new fertilizer customers who have irrigation." I was speaking of the brown dry lawn making you look bad, not you giving them credit. Sorry for the poor wording.
Old 07-26-2001, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 07-26-2001, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a different program for lawns with no irrigation that skips my July/Early Aug application as that is our potentially driest period. If it's a nice years they can purchase an extra app but it usually not needed if you have a history of regular maintenance.