Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In hindsight it was a good business decision. However what's to say that another month down the road they won't get a discrimination lawsuit coming to them for $100,000 because they refused to work for a homosexual couple? If that happens then it most certainly wasn't a good business decision.

Long story short, unless they want to pay you in something other than US currency, or something else of value... take the work. It might not be there tomorrow. It shouldn't matter if they are gay, straight, pink, white, purple, green, etc. etc. etc. etc. Paying work is just that.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

SheShovel......I think those business owners should take it to the next level and continue their reasearch and let their philosophy run through all aspects of their life. If they are committed to not work "for" they should be committed to not buying anything "from". They should not buy any food, clothing, shelter or creature comforts from anyone who's philosophy differs from theirs.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Do you think this is a good business decision or not?

By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
Published: November 11, 2006
HOUSTON, Nov. 10 — Last month, a local landscaping firm prompted a furor here by telling a gay couple in an e-mail message, “We choose not to work for homosexuals.”

The message quickly made its way around the Internet, and the company, Garden Guy Inc., was bombarded with threats and hate mail. But since then, the company’s owners say they have gained far more business than they have lost.

In an interview Friday, Sabrina Farber, 34, co-owner of the company with her husband, Todd, 37, said the company had picked up $40,000 in new business in the past two weeks, while losing only two clients worth about $500 each a year.

“I’m not saying that to gloat,” said Mrs. Farber, who described the frenzy as ugly and emotionally draining. But she said they would not do it differently and deserved credit for not masking their refusal with excuses.

“Why can’t people handle it when you say the truth?” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11/u...=th&oref=slogin
Those who live in accordance with these divine laws without complaining, firmly established in faith, are released from karma. Those who violate these laws, criticizing and complaining, are utterly deluded, and are the cause of their own suffering.

it would totally depend on where u live.. look at the exit polls of the recent elections to get a good idea of how your customer base thinks... some states are heavily against that, some are very open to it... i believe there was a spesific question in the exit polls in relation to gay people... personally i bet the people running that company would score very low on standardized intelligence tests.... but that doesnt have anything to do with moping now does it hahaha
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by causalitist
personally i bet the people running that company would score very low on standardized intelligence tests.... but that doesnt have anything to do with moping now does it hahaha
just because you are gay does not mean you are smart....after all look at your communities inability to control the spread of aids in your community.....really how smart do you and your friends have to be to use a condom....appearently smarter than a mop operator
Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt matter if its good or bad business. They dont like homosexuals so they really dont care what happens to the homosexuals most straight people wouldnt cancel because of that. Its like a skinhead refusing to do work for a jew... they dont care what anyone says

There are many owners i know for a fact that dont take on indian customers or black customers for whatever reason they have its no ones business but theres

Bad publicity is still good publicity is the saying im sure they actually did get that 40k in new work as well

^^ I drive a 55k daily driver and a 5k work truck while every other lco owner is the opposite and would rather drive an f550 as an everyday car

Work like a slave eat like a king
Old 11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keeping my personal views out of this: A person's sexual orientation would not affect whether or not I would service their property.

So, I can't really say if it was a good or bad business decision. BUT, I support the company's right to make that choice, and if that's what they decided to do, I wouldn't fault them for it.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The last time I checked money is money. I dont care if my customers are gay, lesbian, straight, blue, red, purple ect. money is money it all spends the same. Besides just because it worked out for them doesn't mean it will for others. I don't know about everyone else out here but I keep my personal oppinions to myself and maybe a few friends but leave it out of my busn. Who needs more headaches then we already have.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724
The last time I checked money is money. I dont care if my customers are gay, lesbian, straight, blue, red, purple ect. money is money it all spends the same. Besides just because it worked out for them doesn't mean it will for others. I don't know about everyone else out here but I keep my personal oppinions to myself and maybe a few friends but leave it out of my busn. Who needs more headaches then we already have.
They say they got a bunch of new business but they are probably B.S>ing to save face. It's hard to believe that kind of pub being a good thing