Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey i'm 17 and am in about the same situation... trying to do well in school while also managing my landscape business without getting totally stressed out. the best time for school is now when you still younge not 10 or 15 years down the road when your relize that you need some more educ. because you may not be feeling very successfull in life. My view is that if i can do well in school then i will have a better chance of doing well in my landscape career. I just try my best to provide professional, dependable landscape services while also being in high school. some day i'm just too busy with home work that i don't have enough time to go out and wack out a few lawn especialy now that it gets dark so early. Just try your best.
F450 XLT Dump
Fisher Xtreme Vees
22' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
14' Dump Trailer
10' Open Trailer
Redmax 2stroke Equipment
Walker, Wright Stander, Lesco
Little Wonder, Stihl, ect. ect.....
Old 11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have a strong interests in the Landscape Maintenance industry follow your gut stay away from losers finish school and never give up...GOOD LUCK
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
My feelings are based on this-- I am a homeowner,,,,, and I have a son in HS.
If i pay a pro to cut my grass, I expect it to be cut "about" the same day each week, every week. I also know that my son has projects that come up that take full weekends, or all night. Now what do you do??
Something has to give-- and I feel that a HS student should never give up on school effort. Just my feelings, what are you really risking here??
I hire another guy along with me and we knock them out during the week. The weekends are for a little homework here and there along with

We can typically do 9 lawns .5-1 acres from 3-7pm
Old 11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

so what your saying is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
I hire another guy along with me and we knock them out during the week. The weekends are for a little homework here and there along with

We can typically do 9 lawns .5-1 acres from 3-7pm
your hiring employees, so your licinsed, insured, paying taxes, payng workers comp, matching your employees soc sec input, and all that is envolved with running a legitimat business.....(remember this is a public forum and anyone has access)

go to school, have fun, play sports, date, stop trying to take it so seriously like you are ..... you live with your parents and have no real world problems yet, enjoy it while you can ....
6 full time
Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JRS landscaping I was wondering what exactly you tell your teachers? I think that some of my teacher's may be understanding if I talk to them I just don't know exactly what to say. " Hi, I am sorry I dont always achieve like I should but I am also trying to run a landscape buisness and somenights I just have trouble getting everything in!"?? As far as everyone else thank you for giveing me tips and such. I usualy only (Hire?) have one other person help me when I am either really rushed or I have a mulch job. Personaly if I cannot even own a legal company why in the world should I have to mess with all the workers comp and things like that? If the U.S. let me actauly own my buisness insure it and get all the license then heck, I would understand that I need to do that.
Thanks again everyone!
Matt-
Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMowing3535
JRS landscaping I was wondering what exactly you tell your teachers? I think that some of my teacher's may be understanding if I talk to them I just don't know exactly what to say. " Hi, I am sorry I dont always achieve like I should but I am also trying to run a landscape buisness and somenights I just have trouble getting everything in!"??
Matt-
That's not an excuse. School should be your first priority, no exceptions. If you can't finish your assignments, it's your own fault.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
your hiring employees, so your licinsed, insured, paying taxes, payng workers comp, matching your employees soc sec input, and all that is envolved with running a legitimat business.....(remember this is a public forum and anyone has access)

go to school, have fun, play sports, date, stop trying to take it so seriously like you are ..... you live with your parents and have no real world problems yet, enjoy it while you can ....
yes i am licinsed

trying to take it seriously?? LOL yep its hard trying, but someone has to do it, right?

dave you provide the best advice I have ever seen on this forum.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never said it was an excuse? It would be my own fault but sometimes teachers like to know WHY you didnt get it in.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Since when to teachers ask why you didn't get it in? Go in for resource and do your homework then if you need to finish it up. It gets dark at 7 during the growing season, do it after 7... not that big of a deal.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You have to decide what is important to you and what your long term goals are. Grass will always be there but you oppurtunity to go to school may not be. Delaying gradification is a sign of maturity and a sure way to success. Maintain the accounts that you need to satisfy your financial requirements and get the most out of college, your business will profit from it greatly. Work smarter not harder.