Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

need help on quickest way to do job

I am new just starting out and i have my first decent commercial job tommrow. It is a small condo unit and a row of eight townhousees, I have to do the common areas, sidewalks, etc. My question is with a 2 man crew what is the most efficiant way of doing this job. I was thinking of both of us cutting the grass first, then both weed eating, then both blowing, Or should one cut, one weed then both blow?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's Nov. and you are "getting" a account to cut grass???
I am wondering why they are not still using the crew that did it all year??

With a crew Of 2 I found that on most smaller jobs one guy could cut and 1 could do all the rest, and end up about the same----but how did you price this job if you do not know how you are going to do it??
How long will each task take to do?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a job that i already have a contract with but under a different Industry. I do all of this companys Carpet cleaning, & Flood Restoration. I have alot of inside connections with the high ups. I am gettting into Lawn And Landscaping for a couple of reasons. I have bought some good equiptment for my personel use, why not put it to work. I caught an auction and bought some stuff cheap. When i purchased my house 2 months ago, the previous owner sold me an Ex-mark 48 inch, . I am ready to go to work. The project manager on this job told me the current price for the job.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If its you and 1 othe guy one cuts and thee other line trims. Depending on how much trimming is needed the line trim guy blows off the walks while your still mowing.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

no difference is there ?

if you can clean the carpet, you can take care of the lawn correct...... and a job like that usually inicludes fert and weed control, wich i guess wouldnt take much knowledge either.....

like pm said, if you dont know how to do the job, how in the world could you bid on it....

to answer your question, the fastest way would be to sub it out to a knowledgable crew, and see how much your bid was short by.....
6 full time
Old 11-14-2006, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There are two determining factors in this equation. One, is what you're cutting with - for the conditions, and the second is your trim to mowing ratio. There is a better chance than not though,...that what TNT described will probably fit your needs the most adequately. Try it a few different ways, and time out what each operation (trimming/blowing, mowing) takes.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wood
This is a job that i already have a contract with but under a different Industry. I do all of this companys Carpet cleaning, & Flood Restoration. I have alot of inside connections with the high ups. I am gettting into Lawn And Landscaping for a couple of reasons. I have bought some good equiptment for my personel use, why not put it to work. I caught an auction and bought some stuff cheap. When i purchased my house 2 months ago, the previous owner sold me an Ex-mark 48 inch, . I am ready to go to work. The project manager on this job told me the current price for the job.
Ok, I wish you luck, but folks, this is one of the reasons lco's make dipstick for profits. Just about anyone can start lawncare real fast and are instant pros...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like it's been said:
One guy cuts and the other does everything else and you should both be finished about the same time.
This might prevent you from having to buy two of everything...

Last edited by topsites; 11-15-2006 at 02:03 AM.