Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2001, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Caster Wheel Assemblies for Bunton

I recently purchased a 52" square deck Bunton W/B. Replaced all the spindles and belts and it runs like a champ. The only problem I have now is adjusting the height of the deck. Using the owner's manual, I bolted on the stub axle plate in the position that should give me a cutting height range of 2.125" to 3.375". The problem is I can't bring the front of the cutting deck down to that height by adjusting the caster wheels. I have no spacers between the caster yoke and the support bracket and the front edge of the deck is still an 1" or so higher than the backside. There doesn't seem to be anything else I can do to bring the front end down. The only thing I can think of is that the machine has the wrong caster support brackets on it. They certainly look exactly like the replacements they sell at Landscaper Supply so I'm confused. Anybody habve this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe D.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about each caster support arm assembly...does it appear that they would unbolt from the front of the deck frame and reposition higher/lower?

If you have the small, hard rubber caster wheels with the cast iron support arms then they may be fixed position (except) for caster spacer bushings on the caster itself. You said you don't have bushings though.....

Every Bunton I've seen with large, pneumatic front caster wheels has a caster arm mounting plate that mates with a caster arm mounting plate welded to the front of the deck. Four bolts each side/with a variety of positions available.

If all else fails you may have to change the stub axle plate again in order to get the right deck attitude, and rely on adjusting height-of-cut with the blade bolt spacers.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 06-14-2001, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfquip;

The Bunton I have does have the small hard rubber caster wheels and cast iron support arms. They are bolted to the deck and do not appear to be adjustable. I took all the bushings or spacers out so that the caster yoke is up against the underside of the support arm and the front of the deck is still almost 3" off the ground. If I put the blades at their lowest setting using the blade bolt spacers I the blades will still over 3" off the ground which seems kinda high. Is it possible that Bunton made a slightly different support arm that is tilted at a different angle than the standard issue support arm? Or, could I have the wrong caster yoke in there? Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Joe D.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To my knowledge, Bunton did not offer a slightly different support arm. And, its likely that you have a properly matching set - caster arm/yolk.

Two things. The front of your deck should have an adjustable plate that spans the front. Changing the height on this affects the amount of vacuum that the blades will generate. Does your machine have this adjustable plate? I know this has little to do with your original question but will certainly determine the height from ground to deck. 3" seems a little high.

Back to the original problem, the only other thing I can think of is (and I don't mean to insult you or challenge your ability) are you absolutely sure you made the stub axle adjustment correctly? There are a variety of ways the bolt holes match up on those and it wouldn't be hard to do just the opposite of what you set out to do...especially if it's the first time you've messed with these.

My theory now is that you have the correct casters and arms but you possibly went the wrong way with the stub axle adjustment
Old 06-14-2001, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now that I think about it, my last theory doesn't make any sense. The problem is that the front won't come down to match the back...and not vise versa.

O.K I'm stumped

Can you post a picture of the front end?
Old 06-15-2001, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

TurfQuip, your second reply is correct. I can't bring the front down to match the rear when the stub axle plate is set to the 2.125" to 3.375" range. What I did to keep the blades level is to reposition the stub axle plate to the holes that are supposed to result in 3.125" to 4.375" clearance and that is just about where it is. Good point on the adjustable plate in the front - I think right now it's adjusted to be about even with the bottom edge of the deck, but I'll check it anyways. Should that plate be set lower than the deck so that it is part way into the grass to increase the vacuum? I will try to post a picture over the weekend. Thanks again for your advice. We haven't figured this one out yet, but I'm sure we will.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I just threw some scag front end casters on and have tons of adjusting space.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I ordered a rear wheel assembly for my Bunton once that
was supposed to fit my mower, but the tire itself was a lot smaller
than the original. The rim size was the same, but overall diameter
was an inch or two smaller. Maybe that is your problem too.
Fish