Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2000, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I wanted to see how many are running there machines with 2 sets of blades on all the time...Whats the advantages of using 2 sets<br>what fomation do you run them in and if it slows you down or wear out the blades faster than normal,,,,Also I have the turf boss tires on my machine made by d.c...and it seems that the tread on ground is narrow,which puts more weight in a smaller area,,,which kills the grass in frequently travled areas(because of the weight and compacting of the soil).Is wider tires the way to go or will it compact the soil just as much over a period of time<p>
Old 03-16-2000, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I USE 2 BLADES PER SPINDLE IN AN &quot;X&quot;,YEAR AROUND.I FIND THAT I CAN KEEP THE RPM ALOT LOWER AND STILL GET THOSE BAHIA STALKS THE &quot;FIRST TME&quot;.PLUS I GET MORE LIFE ON MY &quot;THROW AWAY BLADES&quot; BY USING THEM ON TOP OVER AGOOD SET. AS FAR AS THE TURFBOSS'S GO,THIS IS THE THIRD SEASON ON MINE. I MAY SPRING FOR A NEW SET NEXT YEAR! <p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 03-16-2000, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

A little off topic but I plan to try this configuration on my Exmark this season and would like to know where I can buy a blade lock to hold the blades in ax &quot;x&quot; formation. Thanks<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 03-16-2000, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would like to know that if i put my blades in the X formation if i would be asking too much of my 14hp kawasaki<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-16-2000, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I just use a double blade on the discharge side of the deck. It does a pretty good job of shreading leafs and dispursing the grass. For tires I use a turf tire in place of the turfboss, it doesn't damage damp grass. I do find the Dixie doesn't hold a hill as well as with the turfboss.
Old 03-16-2000, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to say on the double blades, I use a Gator blade on the bottom and a high lift on top in the shape of a X.
Old 03-16-2000, 08:52 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

TPC, I have used the double blades for about 10 or 12 years now. I run them all season long. I wrote an article on this on my website and have a comparison picture of us using them and another company not using them. You can see the difference. The advantage is it chops up the clippings a lot more and cuts tall grass a lot better.<p>Tires, I use the Turt Boss 2's. It sounds like you have too much air in your tires. You should have around 8 lbs. of air in the back tires. They ship them things with 25 lbs. in them and some dealers don't let out the air. I hope this helps.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>