Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler vs. ExMark

Why did you guys choose HUstler over Exmark? I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I was just wondering. I'm torn between these two and I wanted some professional advice!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Compare feature to feature, components and demo demo demo !!!
I am sure many will chime in on this.

Pj
Old 11-18-2006, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Hustler

I demoed Exmark, Scag, and Hustler. As a homeowner/user I felt the Hustler frame was built stronger/better (want it to last 15+ years). Check the ease of maintenance on the Hustler (oil changes, lube points, etc.) compared to Exmark. I also like how the brakes engaged on the Hustler as compared to the Exmark CT I looked at.
I spent at least 6 months reading these forums trying to decide which one to buy. It was a tough decision to spend $6,000+ on a lawn mower. I ended up buying a Hustler Z 23/60 and took delivery today. I think I made the right choice for the mower I will be using for the next 15 or so years on my 3 acres.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant

Pj
hello, the first to produce a diesel line up worth talking about u will have my vote . Any chance u could look at diesel grasshoppers as an example ,they have it sorted but dealer 4 g/h and hustler not within 14 hrs drive oh well !
Eventually chose exmark/toro and waiting with anticipapation 4 the day after warranty finishes. Oh did i mention a diff engine ..

A suggestion might be direct injection diesel and then u will be the trend setter! small capacity light weight, great fuel economy and good emissions and good power.
Hustler appears to be a forward thinking company which is good and that 66inch deck has me envious...drooling. If it was a gaser choice i would have been at your front door .

tomo
Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Demo,Demo,Demo. God Bless Oh make sure the mowers match up in horse power and deck size.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me it was plain and simple, the dealer. My Hustler dealer is top notch. The Exmark dealer was an azz. I think the Exmark dealer now is more customer oriented but too late.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerconsultant

Pj
Well said,my friend!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was looking at Z's I looked at all sorts. Some I took off my list right at the start because of deck and frame build quality / design. Most mowers I've seen over the years had died from rotting decks. I wanted an tough deck. That meant a serious frame to take the weight then too. John Deere had a small frame members. Liked that 7 iron deck design though. Not sure if the concept really worked or not. Scag seemed to have extra gussets, and doubled up frame beams, and stuff that seemed superfluous. I liked what I read of Great Dane, but no dealers near me (heard JD bought them). Looks at some others too, Toro, and some small names. I ended up settling on Exmark and Hustler. Loved them both really. Good frames, great decks, liked the red, hated the grey fenders that turn brown. Hustler seemed to have a more straight forward design. It didn't seem over engineered for what it was. Everything had a purpose and did just what it was supose to. In the end, Hustler had a better price, and there was a last years model to boot. ...SOLD. Personally, after driving my uncles Exmark some this summer, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either.

gpshemi
Old 11-21-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

yup demoing is the key. (btw....i loved the mini fastrak it was one awesome machine) you should definitly demo both brands. i would go with hustler they have just as good of machines(if not better) but for a lower price. i would have bought a hustler if you they had a stand-on. but for my lawns i found the Super surfer was more efficient. i demoed the exark lazer, fastrak, great dane chariot and SS, and toro.
craftsman 21''
mtd blower
2 weedeaters
Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drive the two, Hustler SmoothTrak Steering is far superior to Exmark.

Hustler Z and Super Z's have 7 gauge decks with additional 10 gauge reinforment at the spindles. Exmark deck has 10 gauge top plate w/ 10 gauge reinforcements, 7 gauge skirt.

Hustler has a better warranty..