Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
...or offer benefits.But it's cheaper to hire hispanics, because they get free health care, and don't need insurance.
How many lco's offer benefits??? Does brickman even offer health benefits? Its not cheaper to hire hispanics... they are just the only ones that show up.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

They are the only ones who show up....To put it that way is a lil off in my opinion.

If you were to pay someone starting at $10+ I guarantee you would find reliable help from some young bucks who want to get out there and work.

People just want to be paid what they are worth. AND enough to be able to live on.....
A lot of Americans werent brought up in households of 5-6-8-10 people under one roof splitting a lot of the expenses and living in a communal type setting.

$7 doesnt even cover the cost of living for most people now days..HELL $10 really doesnt do much either unless they are single and live in the lower rent housings.....

Honestly...How many of you would get up at the crack of dawn and work almost all day for $7 bucks an hour?? Not too many unless they are the actual owners trying to start a business.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterscapes By Design
They are the only ones who show up....To put it that way is a lil off in my opinion.

If you were to pay someone starting at $10+ I guarantee you would find reliable help from some young bucks who want to get out there and work.

People just want to be paid what they are worth. AND enough to be able to live on.....
A lot of Americans werent brought up in households of 5-6-8-10 people under one roof splitting a lot of the expenses and living in a communal type setting.

$7 doesnt even cover the cost of living for most people now days..HELL $10 really doesnt do much either unless they are single and live in the lower rent housings.....

Honestly...How many of you would get up at the crack of dawn and work almost all day for $7 bucks an hour?? Not too many unless they are the actual owners trying to start a business.
Been there done that! It doesn't matter what you pay white guys. I paid them 12-20 an hour, and they still don't want to work overtime or saturdays. And they don't have the work ethic of hispanics. Hispanics aren't any cheaper than whites, you just get what you pay for.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawnworks is right. I have some good americans and good hispanic workers. Pay does not affect productivity. One my american employees that was making over $18 per hour this spring was out produced each day by a hispanic worker "only" working for $12.50 per hour.

One of our Hispanic workers on the irrigation crew will make over $40,000 this year - all legal and ALL TAXES withheld and paid.

Also, the comment about health insurance is an industry / society problem. I have only seen a very very few of the general laborers in landscaping - American or Hispanic - over the last few years that had health insurance.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
El idioma nunca me ha creado un problema, lo qué encuentro problemático son los precios pues los inmigrantes generalmente no se han familiarizado con la esquemática norteamericana.
Yo no tengo empleados y no pienso que tendré cuales en el futuro, aunque el español si tiene sus ventajas con algunos clientes.

El único otro problema es el teclado norteamericano no tiene los caracteres especiales como el acento y la ñ.
Como book did you read that out of HEH!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bean

Everywhere you look you see a beaner with a mowing set-up..you guys still don't get it. They will take over all your accounts and leave you with nothing...we will see what you all have in ten years.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2
Everywhere you look you see a beaner with a mowing set-up..you guys still don't get it. They will take over all your accounts and leave you with nothing...we will see what you all have in ten years.
In 10 years I sure as hell won't be competing with mow-and-goes.