Register free!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

repairing girdling tree roots

I have a property that I started servicing this year. There are several trees with girdling roots. I can not find anyone to give me a quote on repairing them. Does any one have experience repairing girdling roots? There are three types of trees that I have noticed the girdling roots on, pear, oak, and river birch. The trees have been in the ground 6 to 12 years. The tree diameters range from 3" to 10". I am able to do the work but am apprehensive because it isn't something I've done before. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you

Michael Lilius
L & L Landscape
Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would leave that problem to an expert....it definitely is something that should have been addressed when the tress were planted. It can still be addressed but there are risk to the tree dying down the line and they would think you caused the problem.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strontianite
I have a property that I started servicing this year. There are several trees with girdling roots. I can not find anyone to give me a quote on repairing them. Does any one have experience repairing girdling roots? There are three types of trees that I have noticed the girdling roots on, pear, oak, and river birch. The trees have been in the ground 6 to 12 years. The tree diameters range from 3" to 10". I am able to do the work but am apprehensive because it isn't something I've done before. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you

Michael Lilius
L & L Landscape
There is no way to "fix" the roots. You have to prune or simply cut the roots the same way you would girdling branches, except with roots, you leave as much as possible.