Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2006, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent 20 years as a Retail manager ...good money , but too many headaches and crappy hours...hard work is fine....never seeing your family is not.
21 Ft. Enclosed Trailer
6.5x10 Landscape Trailer x2
Quick 36 Samurai with Step-Saver
Quick 44 Samurai
Quick 44 DUALLY
Bobcat 48in. WB Gear Drive
Exmark Lazer Z 60in Ultracut 27 HP Kohler
22" Toro Pro
ECHO Backpacks
ECHO Trimmers w/ Edgeit attachments
ECHO Hedge Trimmers
Tanaka Hedge Trimmers
ECHO Chain Saw
Brown Bed edger
www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was an insurance claim investigator. There were a lot of things I liked about that work, but when I hung my own shingle in that business things did not work out for me. Six years into this business and my only regret is that I did not get into it sooner at a younger age.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKEYE MOWING
I spent 20 years as a Retail manager ...good money , but too many headaches and crappy hours...hard work is fine....never seeing your family is not.
Thirty-one ... yes ... 31 years in the transportation and distribution business, with the last 17 years in management - on a computer - telling everyone else where to go.

Working long hours ... and once in the office working basically 2nd shift hours ... you are right ... "never seeing your family" is not fine. All Sunday's working and evenings missing the kids and school functions ... it's the pits.

Going full time this next Spring is what I've been waiting on for a couple years now!

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

16 years in industrial battery manufacturing... 6 years and current in automotice feul systems
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden
I was an insurance claim investigator. There were a lot of things I liked about that work, but when I hung my own shingle in that business things did not work out for me. Six years into this business and my only regret is that I did not get into it sooner at a younger age.
I was also an insurance property investigator and adjuster. After working hurricane Rita, I felt I needed a break from the crooked insurance industry. Always wanted to start my own biz, and always loved doing lawn care. First year was a success and I only look forward to many more. Lots of good info on this site. Take some and leave some but good reading anyway.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo
current cop and bomb tech... part time mow biz...
The challange with mowing is a staight line. When you being a cop its officer safety, public safety.

At least that is what I has figured out.

Where are in Iowa?

Veritas and æquitas
Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Golf Course Superintendent. Couldn't handle working for anyone else anymore especially under the demands of that business. Making less $ right now and loving it!

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

11 years of all kinds of golf course work. Got my degree and a good job but all turned bad on my first interim sup. job. Vowed never to do that again and went into business for myself. Made the same amount my first year as i did my last year as an assist. sup. with about half the hours. Best move i ever made.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

retail...im 19...i think i am going to be cutting grass for a while

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for Bellsouth for 5 years as a Manager in Pubilc Relations and a Regional Sale Support Manager for Georgia, Alabama, and Tenn....Got laid off, and couldn't find anyone to pay me what I was making, and spoil me the way Bellsouth did. If only I had 10 more years with Bellsouth, I probably would still be there, but I was the lowest man on the totem pole, and the next person ahead of me had 14 years. I took a buy out, and got a really nice separation package, and got talked into doing landscape work by my neighbor because of how detailed I kept my place. Never knew when I started that I would be where I am, but I guess everything happens for a reason. Love being my own boss, because today I was tired from a long weekend of going to football games(Uga/GT)&(N.O./Falcons ) and decided to take the rest of the day off.....just told my guys to buzz me when they get to the gate. I wouldnt have it any other way.