Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2000, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

In what order do you guys do most of you lawns. I always Mow, Trim and then Edge. I find that if I Mow first I have to trim alot less in places and then I edge. I think the edge stands out the best if I do that last. But, I see alot of guys who Edge, Trim and Mow in that order. I guess the only downside to they way I do things, is sometime after I mow and than trim I have a few long clippings laying around. Let me know in what order do you do you services and why!
Old 03-15-2000, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I always edge, trim, mow. This way all the mess you create by doing so will get chewed up by the lawn mower. A lot of places will get blown after the trimming and edgeing so there is a lot less clean-up time. I used to mow first but then always had 15-20 minutes of clean-up. When I reversed it I cut my time considerably.<p>Homer
Old 03-15-2000, 09:15 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Just mow and bag those areas again before<br>you leave the jobsite.
Old 03-15-2000, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Never really thought about saving time by working in reverse. I normally Mow, trim and edge. I do this because after you mow you only have to trim what is left. If I trim first I would have to trim further into the yard to make up for those turns and corners that the mower can not get.<p>However, Homer got me to thinking. If you truely know the property you are doing and you truely know your equipment you should be able to trim and edge before you mow and know exactly how far out into the yard you need to trim. I am going to reverse the way I work and see if I increase production.<p>I do not agree with Stone that you should mow and bag again after you trim and edge. If we all have machines for production then why would we go back over our work if we do not have to. (No offense Stone, I just don't agree with you)<p><p>----------<br>Jeff<br>
Old 03-15-2000, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will find that it will increase your productivity. Once you've done a yard once or twice you should know where your mower can go. We usually never have to go back and trim out after mowing. If you mow 1st then trim, what are you going to do with the crap that flys all over the lawn? Try it in reverse for a while and see if it decreases your time.<p>Homer
Old 03-15-2000, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually edge, trim, blow, mow, then blow again. I know it's not very efficient to blow twice, but I believe my customers are happy I'm not blowing dirt from the edger back into the freshly cut lawn. Or even worse--into the street.
Old 03-15-2000, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

what about if you trim, mow, edge, than blow. that way you will not have any clipping on the. Do you guys not find that if you edge before you mow then you run over it with the mower wheels it looks crapy? If you edge every time you mow there arent very many clippings so you could just blow those around. What do you guys think?<br>Dingo
Old 03-15-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i mow first then edge then weedeat ..reason is i have to trim less when i mow first its also easier to walk to a grass stalk that didnt get cut(bahaia) then to ride a mower to it when i edge before i weedeat then i can make sure the edge looks clean and even with the weedeater sometimes i blow first if there are alot of leaves on the street or on the beds so the mower will chop them up so i dont blow whole leaves onto the grass when im done, and i ALWAYS trim the bushes first thing out of the truck makes clean up easier most times i never have to pick up trimmings just rake them into the grass and chop em up <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-15-2000, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you will think i'm crazy. I edge twice. First thing I edge. Then I mow.Like Homer said, a lot of stuf will be picked up off the sidewalk and road. My Walker is heavy so some of the edge lines get messed up.So I edge again. Then weedeat.When I blow, there is not much more than some sand left on the road and sidewalk to deal with. It only takes two minuets to edge my average yard. So no big deal.This system dose away with the need for a vacume.Keep in mind, what works best for you will depend on the level of quality your customers require. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale