Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

aint that the truth. i went to a lot of municipal truck/equipment auctions this year and after seeing what some people buy for the amount of money they spend it mind blowing! your better of going to a dealer and getting a decent warranty for what people spend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandk06
People get wrapped up in auctions on Ebay. They get it in their head they are not going to let someone else get what they want. Great for the seller. Just don't let the crazy buyer be you.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was about to comment the opposite. I have been discouraged to sell my stuff on ebay because it seemed to me that equipment was going pretty cheap.

I did notice a lot of the "handheld" stuff did seem to get bid up there pretty high but the bigger equipment seemed to not move.

Locally a 3-4 year old Z you would definately see 4k+ for. Thats less than half the price of a new one. Yet on ebay if you were around 4k it would just sit there.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1
I was about to comment the opposite. I have been discouraged to sell my stuff on ebay because it seemed to me that equipment was going pretty cheap.

I did notice a lot of the "handheld" stuff did seem to get bid up there pretty high but the bigger equipment seemed to not move.

Locally a 3-4 year old Z you would definately see 4k+ for. Thats less than half the price of a new one. Yet on ebay if you were around 4k it would just sit there.
Well, even then a 3-4 year old machine that has lets say 1400hrs on it, to me that machine is 70% used up. Now thats going by the estimates of 2000 hrous life expectancy. And yeah you can replace a motor but their around $1500.00 just for the motor plus the labor is I would guess around $500.00 to install it. So you buy a used mower for say 5k and 1-2 years later you replace the motor plus some odd's and end's thats 2000.00 plus the 5k so now your at the price of a new mower. I don't know, these prices just seem out of line for what they are selling.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I see your point there too.....It does suck though to spent almost $10,000 for a mower only for it to be worth $3000 a couple years later.

Another reason I got out of mowing.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Crazy comments going on in here....

I sold a friend of mine who has a lawnservice business, two of my old Bobcat 61 inch mowers... One with a Kohler and the other with a Kawasaki. He got 4000 hours out of the Kawasaki, and the Kohler is still going, and that mower has over 6000 hours on it. The mowers themselves have needed repairs from time to time, but they are still out there working and making him money. I sold both to him with around 1200-1500 hours on them at time of sale.

1400 hours if maintained properly is nothing for a good commercial mower.

It is amazing that some people think that a mower that is used should sell for next to nothing... These are tools and if you take care of a tool it should have a good value.

My Scag I am selling has 1300 hours on it and the dealer and mechanics all tell me that the mower is in better shape than most of the mowers they see that only have a few hundred hours on them... in other words it has been taken care of. A new mower like the one I am selling is over 9 grand on sale, maybe you get one for a little less if you find a dealer willing to sell at his cost. I have mine for sale for 5500$ or best offer, I think that is very fair... A new one with tax would set you back close to 10 grand. So I have mine for sale close to half of what a new one costs, and I KNOW my mower is far from halfway it's useful life.

2008 Toyota Tundra
2009 Wright Stander RH 52"
2008Scag Tiger cub 61"
2006 Husquvarna ZTR 42"
Stihl BR600 blowers
Kawasaki/ echo handhelds

37, Married, 7 year and 1 year old sons , Solo operator, Average 60-70 accounts, mostly residental, Been in business since 1994

When not working I am either flying, boating, jet skiing, or riding my motorcycles

Here is some videos of how I enjoy my time off http://vimeo.com/user2428477/videos
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ron

You said what I didnt have the time to type....haha
Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of it really is supply and demand...
The other part someone else mentioned is folks get stuff in their heads, and I could add myself being guilty of it, one gets on ebay with a sort of expectation of getting something for nothing.
The same holds true for all auctions... I bought my D-250 at an auction, but I paid Kelly Blue Book for it, it wasn't free, and it cost no less than if I had bought it from someone else.
Auctions are simply another market, and as a rule you might find a special deal but you will look long and hard for it, and most of the time one can expect to pay fair street price.
Thou I do agree, ebay equipment prices tend to be on the high side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's Lawncare
i was watching a Redmax eb7001 that was seized and for parts. it went for 150.00 including shipping. that's crazy this is why i sell my stuff off after a couple seasons. i get 75% of what i paid for it and always have reliable stuff.
Yeah but you guys gotta figure, too...

Now I don't know about redmax, but with a Stihl blower, each HALF of the plastic turbofan shroud costs 80 dollars as a part from the dealer (I know this from replacing the one that cracked when I ran over it )

So then I am sure the nozzles ain't cheap, and then there's the throttle thingamajig, the carb, the fuel tank, the straps, the frame...
If I really needed several parts, I just might could see doing that.

What IS crazy is that a machine in parts costs a LOT more than the whole dang thing
Old 11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Some of it really is supply and demand...
The other part someone else mentioned is folks get stuff in their heads, and I could add myself being guilty of it, one gets on ebay with a sort of expectation of getting something for nothing.
The same holds true for all auctions... I bought my D-250 at an auction, but I paid Kelly Blue Book for it, it wasn't free, and it cost no less than if I had bought it from someone else.
Auctions are simply another market, and as a rule you might find a special deal but you will look long and hard for it, and most of the time one can expect to pay fair street price.
Thou I do agree, ebay equipment prices tend to be on the high side.

Yeah but you guys gotta figure, too...

Now I don't know about redmax, but with a Stihl blower, each HALF of the plastic turbofan shroud costs 80 dollars as a part from the dealer (I know this from replacing the one that cracked when I ran over it )

So then I am sure the nozzles ain't cheap, and then there's the throttle thingamajig, the carb, the fuel tank, the straps, the frame...
If I really needed several parts, I just might could see doing that.

What IS crazy is that a machine in parts costs a LOT more than the whole dang thing

i agree if you need the parts that might be an ok deal. but to buy it just to have it it wasn't worth it to me.