Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Well so far i've got 2x4 uprights and 1x6's 3 courses high. I notched out 2 boards(just a bit) across bed window to allow better rear viewing and extended the front uprights about 6 inches past sideboards for additional tie downs. The front uprights are rounded over on top in a U shape and I drilled some holes through them for rope, bungies, or whatever. The rear uprights I mitered at a 45 degree angle for appearance. All thats left to do, for now, is paint it. However, the wheels are still turning, probably have to do a little tweaking, add something here or there as it get used a bit. Thank you all for your help, and the pictures are great !! Don't have a camera or I would post pictures.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the expanded metal for better viewing rear mirror and side view for land changes.

I also like side boards that either drop down (hinged) or come off to allow for easier throwing in of tarps, bags, limbs, etc. Like take off passenger side board while dumping up on drivers side...

Hand holds at the tailgate end too for helping to get fat butts into the back.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Graound Master That expanded metal sides look great. I am having some of those welded in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I am thinking of putting rails like this on my 2001 Tacoma Pickup and also putting my Business name and number on the rails also, instead of a magnetic sign or lettering on the side of the truck i wouldn't have to be conserned with damaging the paint on the Truck this way and i could also reuse the rails if i bought a new truck.
I saw a 2 Trucks in my area like this and it looks pretty good. Any thoughts from others on this idea.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old thread! Put bed rail caps on your truck and the paint will be safe. They're about $80. As for using on a new truck, don't count on it. My Dad had metal sides on his early 90's Chevy........they changed the hole placement on his 2000 and they did not fit.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys know? Can you buy sideboards like these anywhere?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksland
Thanks for your pic, Just made mine today. $21 to be exact, I went with 2x3's and 1x8 pine painted.
looks neat, ive been thinking of this temporary for my f350. My 91 f150, 2yrds of wet/dyed mulch would fill the bed and be plenty heavy for it. I couldnt put 3-4 yards in it, would just be too much weight.

My new F350 doesnt even budge when the beds filled with new wet mulch. Im thinking of a solution like this maybe with a removable back gate with pins to hold it on or something so i can get 4 yards in the back.