Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Landscaping and Retiring.......to some point

When do you realistically plan to retire? Then again, define retirement!

I plan to semi-retire at 35. I think of it as in I will be able to walk away for a week or more at a time and have no concern. The company will be able to run without my total presence.

Right now I'm 22 and know that this is a very realistic goal. As for full retirement............well probably never but at 35 I feel I will then be able to look back and think "I've made it".
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 30 now and want to be able to take a day off every now and then within 2 years. By 35 I want to be able to come in, send my guys out, do some paperwork and then go golfing for rest of the day. Check in around 4:30-5:30 to see how the day went then count my money $$$$. By 40 I want to pull in whenever in my porshe, find out whats going on and leave. Now we all know that wont happen but I can always dream
Old 11-30-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the business only 2 years and allready talking about retiring? Maybe I should come and work in your area!

Im 23 and can hopefully partially retire at 40....pending the world of landscaping being taken over by autopiloted electric equipment.

I do well enough now that I can take off whenever I want for somewhere near a week at a time before things get out of control. Times like this defenetly makes it worth while being self employed. Generally if I take time off its a Friday-Monday type trip.

By atleast 30-35 I hope to be able to just pop my head in the office ever week or every other week for a day here and there. Ill keep dreaming till then
Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

when you retire what will you do?you must have good help.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been in this line of work since sitting in my Dad's lap driving a tractor so really not much of anything new. I just think that full time in 13yrs if my business is not at that point I will have failed. Not an option.

Semi retire is prob all I will ever do. This has always been a part of my life and probably always will...........nursery/tree farm/grower.....thats next.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i like what i do,i think about retiring and just kinda wonder and then?seems like you just wanna shift focus ,good for you .
Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I plan to relocate to the Raleigh area to be closer to home...........2 1/2 hrs vs 4hrs. Well the business in the Raleigh area, I will live somewhere between there and home.

Also, I have 240 reasons to be a grower........beef farm I grew up on. I then can supply myself + others as well as employee people back home that have lost lots of jobs due to industry moving/shutting down.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

please send at least one delicious reason to my shipping address at 36..............
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My retirement plan: I die when I can't make anymore money or physically can.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We used to have one processed every year when everybody was home.......just imagine, 2 chest freezers of beef..........ah yes, now im hungry