Register free!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my father does commerical gate operators they make a swing open type which i think is nicer be cause of the easy to work on and set up i know the gto pro in northern catalog are crap. he gets them for some place called power door i belive its outta ny but they are expensive and have to be hard wired
Old 11-30-2006, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDeality
the gate in the picture is one piece. 14'x6' just FYI. I think I am going to replace the wood braces with aluminum to ease up the weight and also make them a bit longer.

I had seen the might mule ones online. It seems like the 350 will work, I'm not sure if I would get 12v or 120v. I could run electric out there for it and a work light would be nice too, but at the same time buying a deep cycle battery would be a lot easier.
Matt, just some broad measurements but I've got a 2x6x8 (1.5"x5.5"x96") .25 pcf pressure treated wood that is 24 lbs. It's dry but it's still 'green'. That equates to 5.5 board feet which equals 4.36 lbs per board foot.

I can't tell but it looks like you got 5/8 pickets and I'm assuming at least three 2x4 rails (14ft) and three 2x4 post/braces (6ft)....you are looking at roughly 343 pounds of fence.

That is a really rough estimate but it's probably good for +/- 20 pounds based on the material I figured. Hope it helps some.

Andy
Old 11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if its 343 lbs I must be HEMAN

You're pretty close in your assumptions but the fence in not PT with the exception of the plywood, and they're 1x3 braces. I guess I could weigh the a remaining section of the fence and multiply it to 14' ft to get a rough estimate.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am also going to put an electric opener on my fence thinking of going with the mighty mule. Opener, battery, solar glass, and 2 extra transmitters around $750 from tractor supply.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you install a pole in concrete next to road side of the fence. The pole would have to be taller than your fence and run a steel cable from top pf pole to the end of gate near your home to take the weight off of that end
I think would help you but that my two cents.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do have a diagonal cable on it. The problem is that the fence is so wobbly it just bends and bows. I would have to make a complete 2x4 form to transfer the load and keep the fence straight. I will see if I can get another picture later if its not raining showing my current brace, splice and cable setup.