Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=horticulturedawg]
Anybody can draw circles and pretty curves, install it and leave. WOW really hard. Try taking care of the crap designs five years later. Plants too close together, shade loving plants in the full sun, sun loving plants in the shade....on and on. To be a really good landscape contractor, you have to have vision as to what the planting will look like when the plant material matures. We correct this problem all the time on new and several years old landscapes by "reputable" install companies. [QUOTE]

I think everyone is misreading McV. Glad to see you followed up with an apology. I quit following this thread but I saw your name contributing and I wanted to see what you had to say. You and I are in the same market. You hit the nail on the head with the quote, I liken it to the difference between a date and a marriage, Which one is easier. You just forgot one more line at the end.

"and renowned landscape architects as well".

We make it all work. The one that always gets me is you get called in and the property is 5 yrs old. It has been in decline since day one and the homeowners are still using the architects recommendations even though the last 3-4 have been failures. Just goes to show how unwilling people are to admit they have made a bad decision.

I have one architect that does this. I used to be his favorite but over the years he has found out I have, from time to time, pointed out he does make mistakes. He is a great architect I really like his designs but like everyone he makes a few mistakes. He just does not want anyone to know he is not perfect. I am like his last resort these days, I only get referral's from him when the landscape is circling the drain.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horticulturedawg
Sorry man, did not mean to be so harsh...bad day yesterday and carried over to today. I am sure you are very knowledgeable and educated.
Everybody deserves a few bad hair day coupons.

Jumping tracks for a moment...

It's interesting that in the threads of this week, TurfLord is about the only person who called Lawn Service people stupid.

I'm not sure if many people are familiar with a scriptural record in Acts, but TurfLord's post reminded me of the Silversmith Demetrius in Acts who got a whole portion of a skilled trade to cry out for almost two hours "Great is Diana of the Ephesions !! - Great is Diana of the Ephesians !!".

By a slight distortion of terminology, Demetrius triggered a whole bunch of people to get bent out of shape for no apparent reason.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890

Last edited by mdvaden; 12-02-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think a lot of it has to do w/ the fact that this is Lawnsite & not titled w/ something to do w/ landscaping.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden

Maybe more guys mow lawns. But another idea came to mind - at least it's very applicable here in Oregon.

Oregon landscapers must pass tests, and many more landscape contractors have been to college, and have more experience than lawn mowing outfits.

That means that the landscape contractors - typically - have more knowledge and resources, and don't need quite as much assistance.

Whereas the mowing guys, have less, and would be landscape contractors if they had the extra education.

Not sure about your area, but in Oregon, that's fairly accurate.

There are several landscapers here that also provide lawn care, although their lawn employees are typically entry-level to minimal education except for supervisor / crew leader types.
So let me get this straight.....YOU come to a COMMERCIAL LAWN MOWING forum to vent about how much higher and mightier LA's and Arborists are than Cutters? That makes a whole lot of sense.
Do you think neurosurgeons go around bragging that they have more college than regular surgeons?
While grass cutting is not my only field, I do make more money at it than most of my friends who sat in college for 4+ years of their life. Just because one has a paper that states they graduated from a school does NOT make them more knowledgeable than people already in that field.
We have two highly educated scraper's that write articles in the paper here from time to time. I can say from experience if one were to follow everything these men said in their articles, your landscape would be dead. They even go as far to recommend chemicals that are not on the market and have not been on the market for years!
I think maintenance people who really apply themselves and care about their business probably do know much more than installers simply because they keep up with products on the market and what works and what does not work.
Also, to imply mowing is just riding a mower around will make a lawn look great...I have to differ. There is a HUGE difference in a kid riding around a mower and a true mowing professional manicuring a lawn. If you do not believe me, do a search of some of the photos that have been posted by the pro's on this site.
One last disclaimer, I am not saying every person that mows is a professional or that they care to increase their knowledge. There are however some out there that do care to increase their knowledge to be the best they can and that is why many of them come here.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc
So let me get this straight.....YOU come to a COMMERCIAL LAWN MOWING forum to vent about how much higher and mightier LA's and Arborists are than Cutters? That makes a whole lot of sense....
To help you get this straight, we need to tell you to reverse your private interpretation between 90 and 180 degrees, since there was no venting to start with.

I've seen quite a few replies, and a few emails this week, that probably hit the nail on the head - that some lawn service people read the thread with a chip on their shoulder and tried to vent, themselves. (or misread the topic as a negative, or, didn't read all the way through).

Ever heard the concept about people accusing others of their own issue?

Personally, I think you read the opening of the thread, formed an opinion that goes cross-grain with the enitire topic - since one post alone does not clarify a question or idea.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc
So let me get this straight.....YOU come to a COMMERCIAL LAWN MOWING forum to vent about how much higher and mightier LA's and Arborists are than Cutters? That makes a whole lot of sense....
To help you get this straight, we need to tell you to reverse your private interpretation between 90 and 180 degrees, since there was no venting to start with.

I've seen quite a few replies, and a few emails this week, that probably hit the nail on the head - that some lawn service people read the thread with a chip on their shoulder and tried to vent, themselves.

Personally, I think you read the opening of the thread, formed an opinion that goes cross-grain with the enitire topic - since one post alone does not clarify a question or idea.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plain and simple...Its about the ole buggers helping the new guys out...and also the young guys too can help the ole buggers out as well. I bet theres not one member that can say the lawn site hasent helped them In some way or another...even If your as smart as me
Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden

I've seen quite a few replies, and a few emails this week, that probably hit the nail on the head - that some lawn service people read the thread with a chip on their shoulder and tried to vent, themselves. (or misread the topic as a negative, or, didn't read all the way through).

Sounded pretty darn clear to me:

That means that the landscape contractors - typically - have more knowledge and resources, and don't need quite as much assistance.
Whereas the mowing guys, have less, and would be landscape contractors if they had the extra education.

There are several landscapers here that also provide lawn care, although their lawn employees are typically entry-level to minimal education except for supervisor / crew leader types.

So again, you took a stab at LCO's on their own site. IF you did not mean cutters are dumber than scrapers, then you might want to consider how you word things on the internet.
While I do wish more LCO's would take some pride in their work and educate themselves, lumping all LCO's in the same basket does not set well as you have found out.

So as for my opinion being formed from what you fist posted, do not hit the new thread topic until you can think how to type what you mean. But it looks like you pretty well clarified what you meant in your first post.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its buy ,due to the fact there are more youth getting into Lawncare. Maybe they cant afford college. Or there parents just dont have the funds
Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc
Sounded pretty darn clear to me:

So again, you took a stab at LCO's on their own site. IF you did not mean cutters are dumber than scrapers, then you might want to consider how you word things on the internet.
While I do wish more LCO's would take some pride in their work and educate themselves, lumping all LCO's in the same basket does not set well as you have found out.

So as for my opinion being formed from what you fist posted, do not hit the new thread topic until you can think how to type what you mean. But it looks like you pretty well clarified what you meant in your first post.
And this reply of yours omits any reference to "Oregon" which was not omitted from the initial post for a reason.

And therein lies part of the misconception.

As far as "hitting" new topics, we will post when we choose. This is not the LCO's site. I suggest you read the "about us" section before hitting the reply button.

You see, what you quoted, came after "Oregon".

Having been in the industry here since 1980, and serving 6 years on the Oregon license board, I have a fairly good idea of what is happening here in "Oregon".

You may want to ask some question about what is happening here.

Last edited by mdvaden; 12-02-2006 at 10:57 PM.